March 14, 2019

Through the Door and into the Way!


Many people believe there are all sorts of ways to God or to heaven. Some of them think Christians are mistaken if not arrogant to say Christianity is the only way. While we are not to be obnoxious in sharing our faith, this idea is not ours; it comes from Jesus Himself:

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

John’s Gospel if full of credentials to back up what Jesus says. He claims equality with the Father and does miracles that give evidence to that claim. Not only does He call Himself the way, and the truth, and the life, He calls Himself the door:

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them. So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. (John 10:1–9)

Anyone who knows anything about sheep would understand this I AM. The shepherd is the only one who cares for his flock and protects them from danger. To be in His sheepfold, a special place of protection, the sheep must hear and know the Shepherd’s voice and follow His guidance.

In the Old Testament, God is called the Shepherd of His people. Most of us know the twenty-third psalm that begins, “The Lord is my Shepherd . . .” Several other passages refer to God as the Shepherd of His people, such as this one:

He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young. (Isaiah 40:11)

Jesus continues to claim deity by identifying Himself using the familiar language of the OT:

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. (John 10:11–15)

As the Good Shepherd, Jesus knows the dangers. He protects His own and was willing to die for us so we can belong to Him. In contrast with a hired workman, the Good Shepherd has an intimacy with His sheep. He knows His people and watches over us with loving care. Like sheep, we hear and know His voice and follow Him in loving intimacy. He says this: “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You said You would lay down Your life for Your sheep — and You did just that. You died for my sin as my Substitute! I am forgiven and justified, set free from sin’s curse and given eternal life with You, the Door to enter and the wonder of knowing a good and loving Shepherd. Thank You for brining me into this glorious and abundant life with You.

No comments: