March 16, 2019

An encounter with Jesus changes lives







A woman born in a country that is anti-Christian told us a remarkable story. She was a child when one morning her father came downstairs with a changed face. “We all knew something happened to him. He was different. He told us that while he was alone in his room, he met Jesus Christ and his life was transformed. For awhile we tried to prove him wrong, but because the change was so remarkable and wonderful, eventually all the family became Christians.”

John’s Gospel has many examples of people brought into contact with Jesus. After this, they are never the same again. Either they believed and followed Him, or they turned away in unbelief. Here are some examples:

Simon Peter met Jesus and very soon was given a new name. In that culture, a new name signified a change in character. He was Simon (meaning unstable) and became Cephas or Peter (meaning a stone). Much later and after a strong message that causes some of Jesus’ followers to walk away, Jesus asked Peter if he wanted to go also.
Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.” (John 6:68–69)
Peter was often self-confident and even denied knowing Jesus, but eventually he was given a leadership position and was instrumental in building and leading the Body of Christ. He was a changed man.

Nicodemus was thoroughly trained in Old Testament truths but had not experienced the new birth and did not realize Jesus was the Messiah. When he came to the Lord one night, Jesus explained the good news to him and that he needed to be born again through faith and the power of the Holy Spirit. This religious leader believed Jesus and his life was changed. He later defended Jesus and showed his devotion to Him after the crucifixion. (John 3)

At another point during His ministry, Jesus met an unnamed Samaritan woman at a well. He talked to her, something a Jewish man would never do. In that encounter, He gently exposed her sin and told her who He was.
Just then his disciples came back. They marveled that he was talking with a woman, but no one said, “What do you seek?” or, “Why are you talking with her?” So the woman left her water jar and went away into town and said to the people, “Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did. Can this be the Christ?” (John 4:27–29)
Her testimony to the people in her town gave evidence to the change in her life. They had rejected her because of her sinful lifestyle but when she invited them to meet Jesus, they came:
Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. And many more believed because of his word. They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.” (John 4:39–42)
Many more stories are told of Jesus changing lives. I think of where I was when I met Jesus. Divorced, trying to find a new man, poor and trying to raise two children, self-confident on the surface thinking I could do it all but scared and lonely on the inside and fearful of rejection and abandonment. I had two quarter sections of land and no ability to farm it, skills but no job, and deep feelings of inadequacy along with that outward show of self-confidence.

Meeting Jesus changed everything. Some of it was sudden. Suddenly I liked people. Suddenly I was happy on the inside and no long felt alone. Years of walking with Him reversed the negatives as I became confident in Him instead of myself. In the beginning, I might have said, “Can this be the Christ?” but now I am certain because I have heard for myself that this indeed is the Savior of the world.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I’m grateful to You for the transformation, turning this ugly caterpillar into a far different creature, but most of all for being with me in every way and loving me totally, even when I make mistakes. You are all I have ever needed. Thank You for putting my name in Your appointment book and meeting with me when I would not reject You because right then, I needed You the most. Also, thanks for this reminder that talking one-on-one with people is a great way to introduce them to You, the Author of eternal life.

No comments: