March 3, 2019

If faith is there, then do something . . .


If someone knocked on my door and told me my house was on fire, what would I do? Wouldn’t that depend on whether I believed that person or not? It could be a kid with a silly grin on his face. It could be a neighbor with a look of panic and concern. Belief governs actions. In this scenario, if I believed the person, I would respond accordingly.

This is the way the word ‘believe’ is used in John’s Gospel — nearly a hundred times. It is always a verb and gives the impression of action. In other words, believing is not a flat, ‘Oh yeah, I believe the house is on fire’ and carrying on as if it were not. John wrote his book so that people would believe, but not passively.

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. (John 20:30–31)

I’ve heard people say, “Sure, I believe in God” or “I have no problem believing Jesus Christ existed” yet even admitted that He was just an historical fact, like saying, “I believe in George Washington.” However, John had far more in mind. He used this word “believe” to indicate the response of people to Jesus. If they believed on Him, they became His followers; if they did not believe, they became His opponents. If they met Him, they could not remain neutral.

James wrote the same thing. He put an emphasis on faith producing a changed life. That is, a believing person agrees with Jesus and their life shows it. They do good things . . .

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?  . . . For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. (James 2:18–20, 26)

His point includes the idea that mere belief that God exists is something demons believe. That does not make them godly followers! Both John and James are writing about a faith that changes the way a person lives. It is this kind of believing that signals or reveals eternal life is present.

When Christ entered my life many years ago, He changed me. This was both instant and ongoing. The sense of forgiveness and His presence lifted a burden and gave me peace. However, as I read the Scriptures and continue to follow Him, He continually shows me areas of my life that need change. The Bible says . . .

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. (2 Peter 3:18)

Growth happens by reading and believing Scripture’s words about Jesus. As I read them, I see more to believe, more about myself, more about Him and more about how to live.
For instance, yesterday’s devotions brought out the fact that Jesus has power over time and showed it by healing a man who had been impotent for many years. Now, as I pray for people who are in their eighties and nineties, do I believe that Jesus can work in their lives? Or is it too late? Not at all. God isn’t concerned about how long I’ve had a sinful attitude. For Him, time is not an issue.

Faith is a most practical thing. Believing Jesus takes a great deal of worry and stress off my heart. He is able to do exceedingly above and beyond all I can ask or imagine. Believing is completely incompatible with worry just as it is incompatible with trying to do things myself without Him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You are the vine and I am a mere branch. John quotes You as saying that if I abide in You and You in me, then I will be fruitful, but apart from You, I cannot do anything. (John 15:5) In believing this, there is no way I can attempt anything without You. But sometimes I do. That indicates lack of faith in some areas or that I believe but not as fully as I should. More faith is always needed, and thankfully, always possible because Your Word was written that I might believe!

No comments: