March 26, 2019

Those who live godly lives will suffer . . .


Microsoft Windows 10 has a news app where I can put in my interests, select media sources, and each day get news from around the world. One of my interests is ‘faith in Jesus’ and because of it, I get news about people in the world who are persecuted for their faith.

At the same time, I live in a country where such persecution is rare. While I’m thankful for that, I also wonder about the surprise most of us have to the abuse and slaughter of our Christian brothers and sisters in other parts of this planet. Jesus said these things would happen. So did Paul:

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. (2 Timothy 3:12–13)

In other words God’s people should not be shocked that some will suffer in this way. We live in a world that is increasingly godless. People who love and obey the Lord are starting to stand out and are considered targets for abuse.

John wrote about a specific instance concerning Peter and Jesus. Peter had denied Jesus before the crucifixion. However, after Jesus rose from the dead and appeared to the disciples, He specifically singled out Peter to love and care for His people. After telling Peter that, He said:

Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.” (John 21:18–19)

Jesus told Peter he would die at the hands of those who hated Him. In a way, this was another test. Prior to Jesus’ death, Peter was fearful for his own life and was tested three times and three times denied knowing Jesus. Now Jesus told him he would die because he believed. Would Peter back away now? Or would he stay?

Peter tried changing the subject. He turned and saw John and said to Jesus: “Lord, what about this man?”

Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” So the saying spread abroad among the brothers that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?” This is the disciple who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true. (John 21:20–24)

Jesus basically told Peter that what happened to John was none of his business. Who lived and died and why was the will of God. Peter was to follow Jesus, not look for inside information about anyone else.

I think of this when I read about Christians being persecuted, even dying for their faith. I don’t know how God is dealing with them or why He did not spare them. I don’t even know how they responded to their fate.

I remember a church history story of a godly man who was burned at the stake. I cannot recall his name but remember that he told his friends if God spared him pain from the fire, he would raise his hands to let them know. Then, as the flames engulfed him, his hands were raised. God took him home without pain.

The will of God is always good. When people die because they believe in Jesus, God is taking them to Himself. How can that be a bad thing? The method may seem awful, but this one story from history tells me that God is in charge of that too. Going from this life to the next may look like torture to us, but to the person who is persecuted it may be as easy as walking through a doorway, with joy and without pain.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, persecution is not yet overt and obvious, but Your Word indicates that it could very well become less subtle and more intense. At this point, it is not happening, but should those threats begin, I pray to have Your grace that I might glorify You no matter what happens to me. May loving You be far more important to me than comfort, or than life itself.


No comments: