March 30, 2019

Jesus is all I need, part 2 . . .


Yesterday’s assignment told me to review the names and titles of Jesus from the book of John. I found many and had to stop at the end of chapter 8. The rest of the book repeats most of those plus a few new ones . . .

Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (John 10:7-11)

Jesus is the entrance to the sheepfold. Any that go in do so because of Him. They are saved and safe in His care because He laid down His life for those who believe — that we might have eternal life.

I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. (John 10:14–15)

Jesus also knows us intimately and we have a personal relationship with Him. He laid down His life for us that this relationship could be possible.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25–26)

Jesus asked this question of a woman whose brother just died. He asks it of everyone who can say yes to these major truths: God exists and God rewards those who seek Him; we are sinners and we need a Savior.

If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. (John 13:14–16)

Jesus is our example of how to love and serve one another. He is both master and servant!

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

Jesus uses “the way . . . .” not “a way . . . .” to show that He is God’s exclusive way of salvation. There is no other way to be saved however, God’s way includes all who will believe.
Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. (John 14:9–10)
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. (John 14:11)
Christ and the Father are one yet Jesus obeys the Father and the Father works through Him.
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. . . . Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:1; 4–5)
Jesus is our life and the source of all good things we can do. The Father is the One who cares for and purifies our lives so we can be like Jesus. I cannot do anything without Him.
Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, what Thomas said is the declaration given by all who believe. You are our Lord, our God. No one else. Nothing else. Everything we need is in You. Everything I need is in You.

No comments: