March 9, 2019

Loyalty must be warranted . . .


This morning’s news for both Canada and the United States features stories of government staff who had once allied themselves with their political leader but now speak against that leader. Some are accusing their leaders of corruption and being unworthy of their position. As we listen and watch, our uncertainty grows. Are these outraged ex-supporters correct in their accusations? Or are they being disloyal to them?

Loyalty is a noble virtue, but only when it is warranted. In my understanding, being loyal to someone who does wrong is being complicit in their wrong-doing, whether it is an ethical misdemeanor or an outright criminal act. Either way, the news causes lots of stress.

Jesus who is my leader expects loyalty. This is illustrated near the end of John’s Gospel. He describes a scene on the beach where the risen Christ cooks fish for his disciples.
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.” (John 21:15–19)
It wasn’t long before this that Peter denied even knowing Jesus, let alone following Him. Fearful of his own life may have been behind this denial. It certainly was not loyalty. This disciple was concerned for things other than the reputation of Jesus or being known as a disciple.

Am I ever like that? Do I sometimes say nothing rather than speaking of my Lord and God? Do I love Him enough to ‘feed His sheep’ rather than do something easier or more self-serving?

Following Jesus Christ is not merely saying that I believe in Him, in His life, death, resurrection and the entire salvation package. Faith is a relationship, a union of a believer with God, a union of love, respect and obedience. Jesus loves me. He sacrificed Himself for me. Loving Him in return means giving up my life for the sake of others, like He did. This means loving His people in tangible ways, like ministering food (physical and spiritual) and taking care of other needs depending on the resources and abilities God has given me.

It also means being loyal. Being loyal to Jesus ought to be easy. He is not and never will be guilty of wrong-doing or hidden mischief. He is honorable, honest and upright. I can support all that He is and does because He is sinless. However, disloyalty can happen by selfishness on my part, by neglect, saying negative words or silence when I should speak up. I am disloyal when I disobey Him, when I do my own thing instead of seeking His will, when I do nothing in this world as people cry out in their need. God wants loyal people to step up to help them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I’ve been praying about Your will and You are telling me about loyalty, about supporting You and what You do in every way all the time with the way I think, talk and live. Show me what I must do. Amen.

No comments: