March 19, 2019

Jesus cares for women


Modern Bible critics often attack Christian teaching for its ideas about the role of women. They point to the Scriptures as their evidence, usually the Old Testament. However, Jesus elevated women. He had women friends and supporters. Two of them are described in John’s Gospel:
Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was ill. (John 11:1–2)
Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was. (John 11:5–6)
Before describing what happened next, I cannot leave out the well-known account of Jesus and His disciples having lunch at Martha and Mary’s home. Luke’s Gospel describes how Mary sat at the Lord’s feet listening to Him;
But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.”
But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:40–42)
When this passage comes up in a Bible study for women, those gifted in serving often defend Martha. After all, someone had to make lunch. However, being busy in the kitchen was not the point; she was distracted by it and upset with her sister. Not only that, she was telling the One who created the universe what to do about it!

I’ve been in her situation. Something needs to be done and no one is doing it, so I get on my high horse and tell God to mobilize people, to do something. Or I jump in with both feet because I’m angry no one else is doing it — without asking the Lord first to make sure He wanted me to do it.

I’ve also been in Mary’s place, but not with a good attitude either. I see the women in the kitchen and think they are using the dirty dishes to avoid what is really important. Blah, blah, blah. This short story of lunch at M & M’s house has much to say to me . . . such as serving with anxiety is not the way to serve. It’s far better to first sit at His feet, find out what He wants done, then get to work. I am not His boss.

However, when their brother became ill, Martha’s faith is revealed:
So when Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, but Mary remained seated in the house. Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you.”
Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”
Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.”
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.” (John 11:20–27)
Martha had saving faith. She “tipped over” that day in the kitchen, but this time she focused on Jesus and His identity and powerful promises. John wanted his readers to know that.

Perhaps Luke wanted his readers to realize that even with faith, there are times when believers operate in the flesh. The evidence is obvious in our words and actions. I can be hard at doing something but resentful toward others for not helping me, and telling Jesus what to do instead of listening for Him to tell me what needs to be done.

Martha is a strong reminder that I can sometimes lapse into trusting my own ideas instead of paying attention to the teachings of Jesus. Mary chose to listen to Jesus during that situation, but that doesn’t mean she was a perfect saint. We all fail and even cause others to stumble, yet these women were graciously treated. Jesus was gentle with Martha and encouraged Mary. He is like that, and not at all against women.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, in every situation You prove that You know my struggles and how to meet my needs. You speak to my heart when I sit at Your feet. When I tip over, You gently restore me. When I am confused or misunderstood, You clarify things. You are my champion when I think biblically and You gently poke me when I don’t. You are my Savior who never puts me down because I am a woman. Instead, You build me up and continually remind me of Your love and grace. I am a child of God, beloved forever and secure in Your care.

No comments: