March 24, 2019

Getting to know Jesus


When I first became a Christian, someone told me to read the Gospel of John five times, and the book of Romans twice. I don’t remember who it was, but this was solid advice. Romans explains the major doctrinal truths and how to live them out. John explains who Jesus is and the results of believing in Him.

I can’t remember what I thought about Jesus before He came into my life, but when He did, I knew that this man was God in human flesh. I realize now that the Holy Spirit gave me that understanding and reading John gave me a biblical foundation for this understanding, helping me to know Jesus. He begins with this:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1:1–3)

God spoke and at His Word all creation came into existence. That Word is Jesus . . .

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

John shows this is true by the way Jesus talked and lived. This was no mere man, no mere prophet. He said “I AM . . . .” several times, echoing the I AM declared by God the Father when He spoke to Moses at the burning bush. Jesus finished the declaration in seven different ways. With these sayings, He declares His deity. No mere man can say what He said:

1. “I am the bread of life and whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” (6:35) The world is filled with people looking for fulfillment in life, for something to satisfy that empty space in their hearts. Jesus does that. He grants me great contentment and joy. He gives meaning to what would have seemed meaningless without Him.

2. “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (8:12; 9:5) This is incredibly true. He not only sheds light on life’s perplexities, but He guides me through its mazes, helping me know what to do next, how to find my way when there are no answers from any other sources.

3. “I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.” (10:7, 9) The seeking heart finds only temporary satisfaction in stuff like fame, possessions, popularity, or money. Eventually these become taskmasters even as they pose as the door to satisfaction. Only Jesus offers the way to God and the way to eternal joy. He said no one can come to the Father except by Him. He is the door to abundant life and that safe place of care and protection. Like a sheepfold He keeps me secure in God’s love.

4. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep.” (10:11) Jesus did exactly that. He gave His life for my sin and because of Him God has forgiven me and gave me all that I need. This good Shepherd takes care of me in every way possible. He knows the dangers and snares as well as where to find still waters and green pastures.

5. “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.” (11:25) Jesus is not dead. He rose from the grave and because I believe in Him, He is my life. I have been crucified with Him, yet I live! One day this body will die but He will give me a new body, totally transformed into His image. I will be like Him and live forever.

6. “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (14:6) Knowing Jesus means that I also know the Father. Jesus is the way to Him, the truth about Him, His very life in human form that I might know and love Him. God is spirit and invisible; Jesus makes Him known.

7. “I am the true vine and my Father is the vinedresser.” (15:1) In the language of a vineyard, Jesus explains that we are grafted into the One who says I AM and given His life. As I abide in Him, I am able to live like a child of God, holy and demonstrating that I belong to Him. If I pull away from that, He will prune the errant parts using the Word and circumstances of life to test and purify me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this I AM, like all the others, describe my experience with You. I know that You are God, first by the revelation of the Holy Spirit, and second by the way You love me and deal with me just as these I AM statements say that You will. Whoever told me to read John five times did a good thing. Since then, I’ve repeated that many more times and one day, when I step into eternity, I will find John and maybe give him a huge hug of gratitude as together we worship You, the I AM who is God.

No comments: