March 22, 2019

Jesus sends the Holy Spirit


Many times I hear two people tell about the same incident, but the stories are not exactly the same. Neither person is fabricating; they just have a difference of opinion on what is most important.

One example is an account of a fishing trip. The husband tells me of the trip to the fishing hole, the bait they used and the size of the catch. The wife put more emphasis on the fun they had, the scenery they saw and the people they met.

Critics ignore this principle and attack the first four books of the Bible because they are not exactly the same. For instance, someone determined that 92 percent of the material in John was unique and consequently only 8 percent was material held in common with the Synoptic Gospels. These critics say that these books cannot be relied on for that reason.

However, I’ve read them all many times and there is no conflict, just differences in priorities and perspectives. John’s unique perspective includes a private meeting Jesus had with His disciples. It is called the Upper Room Discourse where Jesus told them that His departure was near and they could not come with Him, but He would return and receive them into His Father’s house.
He also told them the Holy Spirit was coming to be with them. They would not be alone . . .

“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. (John 14:18–20)

Whatever they might have understood about the Holy Spirit, Jesus did give them a thorough description. This Spirit would be far more that a mysterious power. He would be another “helper” — a word with a wide range of meaning such as advocate, mediator, comforter, suggesting this helper would be all they needed.

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. (John 14:16–17)

Not only would the Holy Spirit be with them and meet their needs, He would teach them and remind them of all that Jesus had taught them. The Spirit would also be their source of peace and the One who would enable them to witness to the world what they knew about Him.
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:26–27)
But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me. And you also will bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning. (John 15:26–27)
Perhaps the most important work of the Holy Spirit would be guiding them in truth, speaking the things of God to them and glorifying Christ through them.
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you. (John 16:13–15)
Reading this fills me with confidence. God gave the disciples all that they needed to do all that He wanted them to do. This is also His promise to me. Without God’s Spirit, I cannot even know the things of God, never mind carry out His will for my life. I’m humbled by my lack and astonished with gratitude at His provision.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You know what lies before me this day. You know all the times I will need the power of the Holy Spirit to talk, to respond to others, or act in line with Your plans. Fill me up that I might please and glorify You.

No comments: