December 23, 2018

The Christian Secret of Contentment


Today’s devotional by Tozer points to the secret of living as a Christian in simplicity and in meeting the problems of life at their very center. This man writes that by doing this, we set our course and will stay on that course “as if guided by an automatic pilot. If blown off course for a moment by some adverse wind, he will surely return again as by a secret bent of the soul.”

What is that secret? It is the spirit of self-denial, a “calm, deliberate, invincible attachment to the highest good, a voluntary renunciation that is consistent with the glory of God and good of our fellowmen.” It is the determination that God be glorified, that His will is done and in that, He is exalted.

“Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness! Why should the nations say, ‘Where is their God?’ Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.” (Psalm 115:1–3)

Each of us has a personal agenda. We want certain things to happen, certain people to become Christians, others to be punished for their sins. We want our friends blessed and our enemies defeated. What happens to my faith when God does the opposite to all my I-wants? When my friends are unsaved, my enemies redeemed and their lives transformed? What happens when the requests I thought were the will of God go unanswered and He surprises me by blessing people I thought should be rebuked?

Eventually, I start to see that the will of God is higher than my will, not based on my feelings or wishes. I am blind to many things that God knows. He knows what to do with tough and stubborn people. He knows how to deal with those who are lax and indifferent. He knows the human heart and who is seeking Him.

This change in my understanding begins when my prayers are more about His will than my own:

“O my God, incline your ear and hear. Open your eyes and see our desolations, and the city that is called by your name. For we do not present our pleas before you because of our righteousness, but because of your great mercy. O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive. O Lord, pay attention and act. Delay not, for your own sake, O my God, because your city and your people are called by your name.” (Daniel 9:18–19)

Praying for His sake, His glory. Praying because of who He is, not because of what I want. Eventually giving way to praying for His glory, not yet having a clue how that will work out — but knowing that God knows, understands.

It might start with small things, such as instead of praying that my team wins, I pray the God will work out the game so that He is glorified, so that whoever wins honors Him. It moves to larger and more important things, like praying that He will be glorified in the lives of back-sliders and rebellious believers, and that He will be glorified in the lives and hearts of those who curse His name. It is when I pray with His glory in mind that I see answers to my prayers — answers that I would not have guessed, answers that show me how little I know about the will of God.

^^^^^^^^^^
So today, Jesus, I say, “Be exalted, O Lord, in your strength! We will sing and praise your power.” (Psalm 21:13) Have Your way in this world, in its weather, its politics, its course in history, and in the lives of Your people and those not yet Your people. Do what brings You glory. Do what honors You and reveals Your power, mercy and grace. Make Yourself known and yet again surprise Your people with the wisdom of Your will.


No comments: