December 21, 2018

“Just the facts” or a “transformed life”?


That old saying, “It’s not what you know but who you know that counts” is not always true, but today it came up rosy in a surprising way.

In general, theologians study the Bible with a goal of figuring out what it says by examining facts, information, doing synthesis and methods such as systematic study, deduction, parsing sentences, word studies, and learning the original languages of Greek and Hebrew. They analyze and theorize. Much of their study is academic rather than personal and mostly about what they know.

Another way to study the Bible is personal, devotional and applicational, reading it to hear God speak. The method is often called “Lectio Divina” (Latin for ‘divine reading). It may be inductive (What does it say? What does it mean? How does that apply to me?) However, the main difference from academic study is simply letting the Holy Spirit use the Word of God to tell me what God says. It is mostly about Who I know.

Is one method better than the other? The ideal is a blend of the two. That is, study with the tools and skills available, but also listen with all my heart so that I hear God speak and obey what He says. The process might be something like this . . .  

“Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word. I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.” (Psalm 119:97–104)

The psalmist reads the Word of God and thinks about it during the day. He applies it to life. Because of his personal engagement with it, he understands it better than the academics who have taught him and better than those who are older than he is but have not followed their knowledge with obedience. The psalmist knows he cannot keep the Word of God without giving up sin so keeps his focus on what God is saying to him. He is not resentful of the ‘rules’ or spiritual principles that govern his life. Instead he sees them as rich understanding that he loves in sharp contrast to false ways of life that he has learned to hate.

This brings to mind a New Testament principle. It is hinted at in this verse about eating food offered to idols:

“Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that ‘all of us possess knowledge.’ This ‘knowledge’ puffs up, but love builds up.” (1 Corinthians 8:1)

Aside from the main idea regarding eating, this verse slips in the reality that mere knowledge, no matter how it is gained, is an excuse for vanity. I know what it is like to think I am better than others because I know stuff that they do not know. This is a snare. It feeds pride and pride is a root of all sorts of sin. It makes me unloving toward people as I mentally and verbally exalt myself by tearing them down. Pride is nasty.

I could tell stories on seminary professors but only need to look in the mirror to illustrate the difference between ‘study for knowledge’ and ‘study to hear and obey God.’ Many profs know how to personally apply what they learn. They become the very best teachers because instead of feeding their students mere information, their exemplary lives become the main part of the lesson.

^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You are speaking to me. I’ve many negative and positive examples of how different study methods come out in the lives of spiritual leaders, but need to pay attention to myself. It is important to get the facts right, but more important to have my life in line with Your principles. The mouth can speak and give out good information yet ‘walking the talk’ is vital because it shows how Your Word and Your amazing grace have the power to transform lives.


No comments: