December 20, 2018

A Bucket List?


One of the traits of a person whose main spiritual gift is teaching is the strong belief that thinking right is vital to living right. That is, the mind is the primary battleground. For me, this means many of my favorite Scripture passages are about thoughts and my thought life.

For example, Jesus stressed the importance of what goes on inside for it will eventually come out in words and actions (see Matthew 15). Also, Romans 12:2 says, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”

Another one is a prayer. I am concerned with my own thoughts and want to have a godly mind, so pray this now and then. However, I tell people that if you pray these verses and mean what you say, you must duck! God will answer it!

“Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!” (Psalm 139:23–24)

Tozer backs me up. He says that our thoughts are “decorations inside the sanctuary where we live” and “pretty much decide the mood and weather and climate inside your heart.”

I agree that God considers my thoughts as part of me, even as the place where temptation starts. I’m not to let them be a “wilderness in which every kind of unclean beast roams and bird flies” but a place where good things dwell. Some of those good things are in these verses . . .

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:4–9)

Joy. Reasonableness (or gentleness). No worries. Prayer. Thanksgiving. God’s indescribable peace. Truth. Honorable. Just or fair. Pure. Lovely. Commendable. Excellence. Praise-worthy. What God has taught me. Godliness I see in others. Doing these things. Enjoying His presence.

This is not supposed to be a bucket list for some future day, but a continual practice of the mind and replacements for all the junk that tries to collect inside my head every day.

^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m so thankful that salvation includes being given Your mind. Without it, this would be totally impossible. Even with it, I continually need grace and alertness to battle the stuff that wants to distract and lead me into sin. Grant me all that I need to think Your thoughts today!



No comments: