December 22, 2018

God is in the details . . .


Lest I ever get the idea that God is interested only in missions, preaching, and displays of great piety and service, every now and then He humbles my heart with something very simple.

Yesterday I needed a few things from Costco. I knew the place would be swarming with customers. Not only that, the windchill was brutal, the parking lots icy, and my mind was dreading the experience. I prayed first for a parking place near the door and for God to guide me as I drove.

As I pulled into the lot, it was indeed swarming. One glance told me I would be walking a good distance from my car to the entrance. As I drove, the Holy Spirit whispered turn here, right at the row nearest the door. I turned. Just then, a woman in a white SUV backed out and gave me a wide berth so I could pull in, directly in from of the store door, the very closest parking place. I sat there in tears.

This week has been filled with meaningful conversations with Jesus. I prayed for revelation of whatever in my life needs His work. The next day He graciously spelled it out. Other events have shown His hand and guidance and in these, I am humbled and yet with deeper faith. It takes a long time to learn that God wants the very best for me. I do not need to be apprehensive about what He might ask me to do. He promises to supply all that I need.

Tozer takes me today to this favorite passage. Joshua is going to lead God’s people into the land of promise. He may have felt fear and weakness, but the Lord gave him the principles that would give him success . . .

“Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:6–9)

Isn’t God true to His promises? Are not the principles of God proven reliable? Doesn’t meditation on them give me peace? Isn’t obedience always a blessing? Didn’t He tell me to trust Him and not be afraid or anxious? Isn’t He with me always?

Of course. All of what He said to Joshua applies to me also, and to all His children. He says this:

“What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, ‘For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.’ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:31–39)

^^^^^^^^^^
Oh my Father, You gave me Jesus to redeem my life. You bless me with all good things including renewed health and strength and victory over sin. Nothing can separate me from Your love. You even give me parking places to protect me from the weather. I am blessed, so very blessed. You don’t need me — yet what else can I do but give myself back to You.

No comments: