December 18, 2018

What makes you happy?


A list of all the things people believe will make them happy can have surprising answers. For instance, one taken in 2015 had the following (and more like them) on their list of 50: Sleeping in a freshly-made bed. Feeling the sun on your face. People saying "thank you" or a random act of kindness from a stranger. Finding money in unexpected places. Having time to myself. Laughing so hard it hurts. (Link

Another list of a dozen items is mostly about relationships. Other people can make us happy.


As I read this, I thought how nice it would be if my name was on someone’s list of ‘things that make me happy.’ Today’s devotional verses say that this has possibilities. Jesus said:

“Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’ Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.” (John 7:38–39)

Two notable truths jump out of these verses. One is that the Holy Spirit flows out of the hearts of believers. Since the Holy Spirit is the source of joy, then this joy is part of the flow. How wonderful to be joyful, not just for my own self but for those around me. I know people like that; they just make me happy. One is a little girl of about four. She sends her drawings to me in the mail and shyly smiles at me every Sunday morning. Another is a woman in her nineties. Last week she liked the pants I was wearing and asked me to leave them to her in my will. She makes me happy.


The second thing I notice is that the Spirit of God was given when Jesus was glorified. Tozer says this is a spiritual principle: The Holy Spirit will not flood from His people unless they are glorifying Jesus Christ. He adds that by dedicating myself to the glory of Jesus, the Holy Spirit takes the initiative to deepen my walk, to raise me up to a closer relationship with the Lord, to open my eyes to increasing knowledge of Him, and to fill and bless me.


When this happens in relationship with other believers, the flow becomes a river, an overwhelming abundance of joy that we bring to one another. This joy is not only our strength as God’s people, it is our unity — like a gentle song sung in incredible harmony . . .

“May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:5–7)

Tozer says, to glorify Jesus is the business of the Church, and to glorify Jesus is the work of the Holy Spirit. My part is to keep short accounts with God and with others, and to walk in loving obedience.


^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, when Your people are filled with Your Spirit, we make each other happy. This is such a wonderful gift of grace and mercy. Fill my heart to overflowing, today and always. It would be wonderful to one day see a survey of what makes people happy that puts Jesus Christ and His church at the top of the list.




No comments: