December 31, 2018

All that I need . . .


I’ve a traditional reaction to the last day of a year. I want to consider the past for things to change, stop or revise. I also want to consider what God might want from me in the new year. At the same time, I think more about time passing and the nearness of being with Jesus in His eternal kingdom.
These are not gloomy thoughts but hopeful. The passage Tozer selected is a good summary for me . . .

“As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more. But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children’s children, to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments. The Lord has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all.” (Psalm 103:15–19)

So are Tozer’s words good for me. He says, “If the world’s foundations crumble, we still have God, and in Him we have everything essential to our ransomed beings forever.”

I have Jesus. He died for me and now sits at the right hand of God making intercession for me. I’m so very aware of all that He has done and look forward to seeing Him face to face.

I have the Scriptures, the Word of God. “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.” (Isaiah 40:8)

I have the precious Holy Spirit to interpret the Scriptures to my heart. He guides, instructs and comforts me, giving me all that I need to walk with God both here and forever.

I have prayer and faith. Tozer says “these bring heaven to earth and turn even bitter Marah sweet” which is true. This is my communication with God and my trust in Him and because they are gifts from the Lord, they will never falter or be taken from me.

Last night we visited a family from China. They were told that I have a pacemaker and the older woman, who knows very little English, tried to reassure me that pacemakers were reliable and seldom fail. I indicated to her that even if the pacemaker failed and the worst happened, I would go up there, and pointed toward heaven. She broke out in a big smile.

This is what Tozer says too. No matter what, we who believe in Jesus Christ and walk with Him have our Father’s house and our Father’s welcome. Those who know these eternal blessings also know that death is not the end . . .

“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26)

2018 was a difficult year for my health, but God gave me this verse to assure me that even if this crazy heartbeat got the best of me, He is taking care of me. His care is both for this life and the life to come.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I am thankful for all that You are and all that You do, for me and for everyone. No one knows what the new year will bring, but I do know that You never change. You are the same yesterday, today and forever. I can depend on Your promises and Your care. Should the world crumble I still have You — and in You I have everything that I need.

 

No comments: