September 5, 2018

Who is number one?


How can I make something or someone a priority in my life? I can put it at the top of my to-do list, spend most of my time with it, choose it over all else, and yet my heart can be elsewhere and the tasks mentioned become duty rather than a labor of love.

Tozer writes about the state of Christianity today. He makes a distinction between ‘religion’ and genuine faith by saying that the ‘religious’ people “make a great noise about believing the Bible” but the Bible has virtually no practical influence in their lives — it is not a priority. He adds that “fiction, films, fun, frolic, religious entertainment, Hollywood ideals, big business techniques and cheap, worldly philosophies now overrun the sanctuary.”

I attend a church that is not like that yet am anxious about the practical influence of the Bible part. If the Word of God is not changing lives, is it because it is not being read and studied? Is it because it is not given priority?

Before I became a Christian, I read the Bible each day as a duty, a thing I was supposed to do because my mother set the example. The words were just words and meant nothing until I met the living Christ in an encounter that changed everything.

However, my old heart is prone to fall back into old habits, to do my dutiful reading, to say my dutiful prayers, not out of a genuine love but just a habit. The book of Revelation speaks of a church that had “lost its first love” and I know that danger. Priority or first love — how can that be restored?

The Bible says, “But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.” (Revelation 2:4–5)

Tozer says, “Could it be that too many of God’s true children … are sinning against God by guilty silence? When those whose eyes are opened by the touch of Christ become vocal and active God may begin to fight again on the side of truth.” Plainly he connects those first works with talking about Jesus.

As I recall, I didn’t talk as much as some do. I’m an introvert and enjoy silence, and I only think quickly to argue, not to be a thoughtful and encouraging verbal witness to the love of God. Related in one way, I’m not a sales person either, partly because I want to choose for myself, not be talked into anything. I tend to give others the same choice. That said, being vocal for Jesus has never been easy for me. I cannot do it unless the Holy Spirit fills me and gives me a good shove.

Tozer points to part of this passage. After I read it all, I noticed something . . .

“The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:9–14)

Jesus came to a people that should have known Him, but they did not. Only those who believed and were born of God could see His glory. How did that happen? It seems from these verses and others that no matter how vocal Jesus was, or His disciples, people did not believe unless the Holy Spirit gave them new life. The Spirit may have used the words of the Son and His followers, but those words were not necessarily effective on everyone. Those who did not believe in Him or receive Him turned against Him and put Him on a cross.

Where does this leave today’s church? Only God knows the human heart and I’m certain that many of His people are obedient and do speak when He motivates them to do so. There are others who refuse, to their shame. I also realize that I cannot speak apart from the Spirit. For one thing, I usually won’t as I’m not into pushing people, but when the Spirit tells me to be silent, I know it and when He tells me to speak up, I better do it.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You often come to me and speak instruction into my heart. Obedience is important. I know that You did not gift me with evangelism or the ability to persuade people. But I also know that if You want me to say something, I must say it. I’ve made excuses such as ‘no one will listen’ or ‘no one will like me’ or ‘I’m not good at this’ yet realize if the Holy Spirit wants to use my words, He will, even a fumbling effort. For me, the worst excuse would be that I’ve lost my love for You and have neglected to repent.

No comments: