September 19, 2018

Knowing the answers is not enough


One truth that I’ve learned the hard way is that knowing something is not enough. Tozer opens today’s devotional with these thoughts: “The work of God is not finished when the first act of inward adjustment has been done. The Spirit would go on from there to bring the total life into harmony with that “blissful center.” This is wrought in the believer by the Word and by prayer and discipline and suffering. It could be done by a short course in things spiritual if we were more pliable, less self-willed and stubborn; but it usually takes some time before we learn the hard lessons of faith and obedience sufficiently well to permit the work to be done within us with anything near to perfection.”

Many times I’ve longed for the ‘short course’ yet realize how self-willed and stubborn I am. He draws me deeper and as much as I want to be like Jesus, I go kicking and screaming into the classroom because it is an uncomfortable place. Pride says I know it, I don’t need more training.

Tozer says, “In bringing many sons unto glory God works with whatever He has in whatever way He can and by whatever means He can, respecting always His own gift to us, the freedom of our wills.” He adds that the Bible is the best of His means. I agree. I cannot learn much about God without it . . .

“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

Yet I know from personal experience, knowing the Bible is not sufficient; it must also be obeyed. Reading and studying it does not produce godliness any more than reading a cookbook produces a cake. James says:

“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.” (James 1:22–25)

The Old Testament also makes obedience a high priority . . .

“He (God) opens their ears to instruction and commands that they return from iniquity. If they listen and serve him, they complete their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasantness. But if they do not listen, they perish by the sword and die without knowledge.” (Job 36:10–12)

Tozer ends today’s devotional with the threefold purpose of the Bible: to inform, to inspire faith and to secure obedience. He is right to says that the Word of God will do me good only as I present an open mind to be taught, a tender heart to believe and a surrendered will to obey.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m thankful for these level-headed words of truth, simple yet profound. Listen. Believe. Obey. Forgive my wandering mind that reads without listening then has the audacity to assume that I know Your will and am following it.

No comments: