September 16, 2018

Praise and thanksgiving ALL the time


A popular call-in radio program host, Dave Ramsey, continually reminds himself and his listeners of a basic theological truth: when asked how he is, he says, “Better than I deserve.”

These are pity-party destroying words. I need to hear and say them more days than I care to admit. It is easy to praise God when things go my way, when I’m comfortable, when prayers are answered, problems are solved, and I win rather than lose. The Bible is filled with examples of that kind of praise:

“The Lord lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be my God, the rock of my salvation, the God who gave me vengeance and brought down peoples under me, who brought me out from my enemies; you exalted me above those who rose against me; you delivered me from men of violence. For this I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations, and sing praises to your name. Great salvation he brings to his king, and shows steadfast love to his anointed, to David and his offspring forever.” (2 Samuel 22:47–51)

But what about praising God when suffering, or when prayers seem unheard, or problems remain and I am losing not winning? Isn’t this what happened to Jesus when He was crucified? It feels good to identify with Him in His victories, but what about in His suffering?

“So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood. Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured. For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” (Hebrews 13:12–16)

God is to be praised when life is good, but also when praise is difficult, when it seems like a sacrifice. This is made easier by realizing that no matter what happens to me, I am not receiving what my sins deserve. The wages of sin is death so the fact of being alive and breathing is something for which to be thankful, to praise God for as a mercy and a grace.

Tozer says that all good and beneficial things are gifts of Almighty God and come to us out of His lovingkindness, including His grace in atonement, revelation, redemption, mercy, the gift of eternal life and in the indwelling Spirit. For all this and everything else we are in debt to God forever. We can never repay our heavenly Father for the least of His mercies.

Yet God in His wisdom has not made earth a ‘heaven’ where life is perfect. In this place, we experience the whiplash of sin, our own and others. Life is not perfect and the pain of its imperfection is a classroom in the kingdom of God. Can I be thankful when my shelves are bare and my health is failing? Can I be thankful when life is lemons, pain is the norm, and answered prayer is rare?

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16–19)

It is the works of the Holy Spirit to produce gratitude, no matter what is happening. As already said, no matter what goes contrary to my desires, there is always something to be thankful for and many reasons for which I can praise God. He isn’t asking me to be thankful for the unpleasant things but it is His will that I am thankful, not griping or complaining.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, it is good to make a gratitude list now and then, even every day. It is also good to review Your goodness, Your attributes, all those things that are true of You and worthy of praise. Feeling sorry for myself is too easy and evidence of the ‘spoiled brat’ that I am. Today is a good day to fill with praise. Thank You for the power of the Holy Spirit and for making praise easy because You are totally worthy.

No comments: