September 7, 2018

When a reorder is in order . . .


A priority list often helps me do the first things first. The problem is deciding what should be first. I’ve a file that helps. It has a graphic-numbering system where the first item is compared to the second one and the most important one is circled. Then that first item is compared to the third, fourth, fifth and so one. When all items are compared with each other, the circled numbers are counted and the items that are the most important will have the high scores. It works as long as “I don’t feel like it” does not start messing with my good intentions.

Habit-forming gurus offer many suggestions. Most of them say to start small and set a deadline. I’ve tried both but procrastination still sets in. Some tasks are easy and some are not. I’ve a spiritual battle with praying, which is a strong priority but easy to replace with something else that does not matter as much but is easier.

However, in reading some web-sites about habits and by reading these verses, God gives me another insight: I sometimes expect too much from myself and need to simplify. The psalmist says:

“I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever.” (Psalm 145:1–2)

He had a good habit of praising God every day. That habit became such a great part of his life that he knew he would bless God forever and ever.

As I read that, I thought of my long prayer list and wondered which parts of it would be ‘forever’ prayers. Some are ‘give us this day our daily bread’ prayers. Some are about incidentals like forgiving those who sin against us, which usually does not happen daily but will not be eternal either.

The disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray. His familiar response, beginning with, “Our Father who art in heaven . . .” are often followed as a prayer in themselves, but He was giving them more an outline. Each part has significance. When I say ‘Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven’ I could be thinking about messy political situations, someone’s illness, a person lost in sin, and any number of things that need His hand.

As I write this, I think of KISS — keep it simple stupid. God (and my husband) do not approve of me calling myself stupid so in this case, that second S could stand for sidetracked or scattered. I’m also remembering the good advice from Elizabeth Elliot when asked about how she scheduled her time. She said, “I just do the next thing. I always know what it is.”

Knowing the next thing, strange as it may sound, goes with daily praising God. When I slow down to do that, He gives me an understanding of His will for me in all matters of ‘what do I do next?’ It can be the most difficult task on the list, not always but usually. When that tough one is done, the rest seem quick and easy.

This devotional sounds like I’m giving myself a lecture. Maybe, but I’m also hearing the Lord’s soft voice bringing good ideas into an often and woefully scattered mind. I need to simply let myself slow down and praise Him, each day and let that turn into forever and ever.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, thank You for all that You give me, rebukes included. My heart has been stressed — literally and emotionally. This A-fib makes me tired and being tired makes my list seem much longer. You are showing me that I only need to focus on those things that belong to ‘forever and ever’ and let go of most of the rest.

No comments: