September 3, 2018

Eyes on what will change my life . . .


A man of prayer wrote that Christians are too satisfied with mediocrity to the point that if someone is living a ‘normal’ Christian life, others say that person is a super saint.

Tozer says, “We have measured ourselves by ourselves until the incentive to seek higher plateaus in the things of the Spirit is all but gone.”

“Look at what is before your eyes. If anyone is confident that he is Christ’s, let him remind himself that just as he is Christ’s, so also are we. For even if I boast a little too much of our authority, which the Lord gave for building you up and not for destroying you, I will not be ashamed. I do not want to appear to be frightening you with my letters. For they say, ‘His letters are weighty and strong, but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech of no account.’ Let such a person understand that what we say by letter when absent, we do when present. Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.” (2 Corinthians 10:7–12, italics mine)

In measuring myself against others, I might consider myself a cut above average, or a poor example of a believer, depending on how the day is going. The Bible says don’t do that. For one thing, my judgments are affected by pride and self-pity . . . 

“Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips.” (Proverbs 27:2)

“For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.” (2 Corinthians 10:18)

Not only that, the standard for my Christian life is Jesus Christ. God’s goal is that I am like Him:

“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” (Romans 8:28–29)

Don’t compare myself with others, only with Jesus. The good news about that is as we look at Him, we become like Him. This is true with lesser comparisons — the more I look at and am with another person, the more I pick up their speech patterns and habits, including those less desirable! Who wants to be like other people when God wants me to be like His Son. Far better to gaze at the perfect One . . .

“And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.” (2 Corinthians 3:18)

Spending time with Jesus is not only profitable in discovering the will of God and deepening my prayer life. It is also vital in the transformation that God wants for me. Being like Jesus is the ultimate, the highest goal. How could I be satisfied with anything less? He sets me free from this trap of evaluating myself continually by the lives of other people and at the same time raises the standard for us all.

I’m not there yet.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, thank You for being the image that I am supposed to reflect. You forgive me when I fall, meaning I can forgive myself. You urge honest confess of sin so our sweet fellowship is not broken. You keep my eyes on You instead of letting me wish I was like so and so and glad that I’m not like that other person, helping me accept others where they are and encourage them to focus on You. Blessings to You and thanks for Your love.


1 comment:

Darrell said...

Just got back from a long weekend. Great work!