September 8, 2018

Everyone falls short . . .


The New Testament reveals that the OT Laws were not to save anyone but to bring sinners to their knees realizing that we need a Savior. The NT ‘laws’ have the same effect.

For example, the following verse is on the lock screen of my Windows 10 computer. Every day when I turn it on, I am reminded of the underlying reason God has me alive and on this planet:

“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Today’s devotional verse says much the same thing:

“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Colossians 3:17)

In the power of the Holy Spirit, a Christian’s life changes. New attitudes and values alter the way I do things and the reason for which I do them. However, some of what God asks of me is so far out of my reach that my appreciation and need of the Holy Spirit becomes obvious.

Other Christians might find it easier to glorify God than I do, but for me this command immediately throws me on the grace of God. I can no more glorify God than fly to the moon. I need His power to do what He asks of me, even to have the attitude that I am doing it in His name and by His strength.

What does glorifying God look like? For one thing, this question is not for ‘self-inspection.’ As soon as I start looking for evidence of Jesus in me, my eyes are off Him and I’m off course. However, I can be aware of spiritual fruit. That is, when the Holy Spirit is in charge, the evidence shows up with these attitudes:

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22–23)

If I’m indifferent, grumpy, anxious, impatient, gruff, and out of control, I can be certain I’m operating in the flesh and not living for the glory of God.

There are other tests, mostly in the same areas but lack of spiritual fruit shows up in behaviors such as gossip, complaining, self-seeking, blatant sin of many kinds, bad language, idolatry, fits of anger, and more. When caught up in these, I certainly do not have the attitudes that produce glory and praise to God. Even if I desire to do it, or try to fake it, I cannot. For that, I need Jesus.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, faith in You means just that. Keeping Your commands means trusting You for the ability to do things in Your name and glorify God in the process. Being filled with the Spirit is not a zombie-like state nor is it obviously high-flying. It is more like being relaxed, being ‘normal’ and without stress or that inner desire to control everything. I know from observing others that Your people can glorify You by just being themselves, transparent and with humility. Enable me to rejoice in the impossibility yet the possibility of bearing fruit that brings You glory!

No comments: