September 1, 2018

Faith overcomes spiritual adversaries


A pastor’s wife told us that her husband often struggles with things that seem to have no other reason or purpose except that our spiritual enemy is trying to mess up his walk with Christ. I know that war. If the devil cannot get me thinking against God’s written will, he will attack my body, or appeal to my pride. Sometimes I wonder if there is a target painted on my heart.

Tozer says there is. The target is the Spirit of Christ in me that draws enemy fire. Most people will not understand why they feel antagonism toward Christians nor will they recognize the enemy using them to persecute believers. A few will but in either case, it is Jesus that bothers them (unless of course I’m acting like a real jerk).

Note how quickly and directly Jesus experienced this attack as He began His ministry . . .

“In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.’ The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild animals, and the angels were ministering to him.” (Mark 1:9–13)

Other passages about this incident say that Satan left Him for a time, yet the war went on, just as it does for God’s people. As soon as we believe, the Spirit comes in and the adversary attacks. Our only defense is faith and our spiritual sword — the Word of God.

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints . . . .” (Ephesians 6:10–18)

Tozer calls this the war that never ends. My first reaction was a groan yet it must be that way. Satan is after Jesus who lives in me and Jesus says “I will never leave you or forsake you” therefore the battle will not be over until God casts that enemy into the lake of fire.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, faith in You is my position of defense and Your Word is my weapon. These days, what I especially need is the ability to recognize his attacks. I get discouraged and self-focused and run with that too long without realizing this is one more attack to keep me from putting to use all You have given me to defeat the enemy and live for You.

No comments: