November 5, 2017

Who is responsible for evil?



Last night we watched “The Imitation Game,” a 2014 historical movie loosely based on the biography of Alan Turing. In the movie, a group of brilliant people cracked the enigma code used by the enemy in WWII. This man and his team, at least in the movie, decided that if they immediately used to code to prevent attacks, the Germans would realize what they had done and change it to something even more difficult. Instead, they allowed some invasions to succeed  and others not, just so no one, not even their superiors, would know their secret. Some might say these people were God-playing.

I’ve not studied the actual story except to find that the end notes on the movie were correct: Turing was treated for ‘indecency’ In the 1950s and deteriorated physically and mentally. He eventually committed suicide, and was later ‘forgiven’ because his work saved millions of lives. He is considered as at least one of the inventors of the modern computer.

What would this team have done if they were not ‘sinners all’ and had been people of God? Millions of lives were saved, yet many were not. How would the power of redemption changed the story?

In another era, a proud king boasted and God took away his kingdom. He became like an animal, eating grass and living with beasts until his hair and fingernails grew. God did it so he would know that “the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will.” Then God did an amazing thing. Here is what that man said:

“At the end of the days I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High, and praised and honored him who lives forever, for his dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom endures from generation to generation; all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, ‘What have you done?’ At the same time my reason returned to me, and for the glory of my kingdom, my majesty and splendor returned to me. My counselors and my lords sought me, and I was established in my kingdom, and still more greatness was added to me. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble.” (Daniel 4:34–37)

The devotional asks about the power of God and states we can trust Him because He “rules and governs all things with absolute control” and yet those who do not know this take matters into their own hands. Could God have done to Hitler what He did to Nebuchadnezzar? Certainly, but He did not. Was it because human beings did not trust Him? Or was it because He choose to use a group of sinful people to defeat Hitler’s armies using mathematics and exceptional deduction?

The workings of Almighty God are beyond me. I can try to figure out the course of history and its events, but my reasoning, even coupled with faith in God and His power, cannot make sense of most of it. Why allow a major war in the first place? Why use sinners to both start it and end it? Why all the destruction and pain?

A cartoon shows a man with fist raised asking, “God, why do You allow so much evil in this world?” The next pane shows the answer from heaven: “I might ask you the same thing.”

My theology professors sum up history in a few words: God created, man ruined, God works to restore, Jesus wins. Do we experience the blatant resistance of sinful humanity so God can demonstrate His power? Do we experience the pride and hate of one another so we will be broken ourselves and yield to the Only One who truly loves us?

I cannot answer these questions, only to say that faith means I know God is true, powerful, merciful, and hates sin. I also know that Jesus died for all, for me, for my sin, and that I am forgiven and a recipient of eternal life. I know this so deeply that I’m willing to let God be God. I can love and obey Him whether I know the answers to all the big and small questions. I can do this because by grace I have been saved through faith. He has made me His child and I can walk through life holding His hand and trusting Him to do exactly what He knows is best.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, at times I shake my head at both the audacity of sinners (including me) and the wonder of holiness — only You. You came out of the vastness of where You dwell so that people like me, like Nebuchadnezzar, like Alan Turing, even like Hitler, could be offered forgiveness and eternal life. Not everyone humbles themselves before You and takes that gift. This is the part I do not understand, but You know and one day I will know too, so right now I can leave that in Your capable care.

No comments: