November 27, 2017

Pass the soap . . .



After nearly three years of ministry, Jesus knew that His time was near. Soon He would leave this world, but before He did, He wanted His disciples to experience His love in a special way. He also wanted them (and us) to know how to show our love to one another:

“When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, ‘Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.’” (John 13:12–17)

Some interpret foot-washing as a ritual to be performed as any other rite. However, this story has background. In Jesus’ day, foot travel in sandals resulted in dirty feet. If it was raining, or if the traveler was prone to sweat, those feet could be repulsive. Hospitality was an important part of their culture, so those feet must be washed, but this was done by servants only.

Today, washing feet or having your feet washed is usually a humbling experience. Because of that, many interpret what Jesus did as an example of how to refresh other Christians who have become ‘dusty’ through living in this sinful world.

I’ve had my feet washed literally, which was a blessing. I’ve also had my feet washed symbolically by loving believers who did for me unexpected actions of kindness. One time I’d driven to Bible school on a road coated with about two inches of ice. It was a harrowing experience. When I arrived, I realized I’d left my assignment paper on the kitchen table and it was due that day. I expressed my dismay to one person, not realizing she passed that on to another friend. The second person approached me about an hour later to say she had to drive into town to the bank. Then she asked for my house keys. I still become weepy remembering her kindness and sacrifice as she thoughtfully saved me a ‘late-fee’ cut in my marks by retrieving my essay.

More recently, we were having a stressful week with family illness and a host of other things. A dear Christian friend called and told me that the Lord prompted her to bring supper over for us. She brought stew and bread, butter and a pie. Again, I wept.

Foot washing is not a ritual, even with the symbolic interpretation. It is listening to the Holy Spirit’s promptings and following through with what He says. These are God-whispers, not a to-do list. I’ve tried the list, such as “phone someone every day” or “invite others over two times a month” but that rapidly turns into duty and burdensome, easy to abandon.

Foot washing is meeting obvious needs, but sometimes not so obvious. I had a rhubarb plant in my yard. A new couple came to our church from down east. The Holy Spirit prompted me to take them some rhubarb. I wondered about it at first, for rhubarb is something like bagpipes; you either love it or hate it. But I took a bundle anyway and was met with: “Oh my, we moved here and the first thing I have missed from our home is my rhubarb plant.” Only God can do stuff like that!

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, sometimes my feet need washing, but many times I notice others who could be blessed with little things or huge responses. Whatever it needed, keep my ears tuned to Your nudges and my heart willing to do whatever You ask, even those things that seem to make no sense to me. I trust You to know the needs of others and to tell me what I should do to wash their feet.


No comments: