November 19, 2017

Sharing Christ



During dinner, one of our guests, a young Buddhist, mentioned that she was born on a certain day. My husband’s face lit up and he said that day was special to him too. He went on to explain how he decided to take the family to a nearby church, and at that church he responded to the Lord and became a Christian.

Earlier in the evening, the same person noticed the hearts on our calendar. We use them to mark the days we join with others to pray for our children. She asked about the hearts, thinking they were ‘date nights’ or something like that. He explained why they were there, and I added that we called our prayer group “Soft Hearts.”

She offered no visible or verbal response. A few months ago, when first sharing a meal with us, she asked another person at the table why we prayed before we ate. He said that was what Christians do; we thank God for providing for us.

This morning’s devotional reminds me of the importance of not only sharing our testimony of the Lord, but also using sound words to do that. My hubby is particularly good at that. I tend to get ‘theological’ but he is more apt to explain the Gospel in simple terms that anyone can understand.

Another important part of sharing Jesus with others is being bold, being unafraid to do it. This fear can come from pride (how silly is that?) and a sense of shame that I am a needy sinner (also silly). Sometimes I think the response will be angry or strong resistance (and sometimes it is). However, God tells me to do it anyway:

“Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.” (2 Timothy 1:8–14)

Paul, who wrote this, was convinced of his calling. He was confident in his knowledge of God, never ashamed or fearful in his faith. He said to use those sound words, words that God can use to bring spiritual well-being to those who hear them — because faith does come from hearing the Word of Christ. People cannot believe unless Jesus speaks to their heart and He often uses the mouth of those in whom He dwells.

Not only must these sound words be biblical, they must be spoken in faith and love; faith that God will use them, and love that expresses a desire for the spiritual well-being of those who hear them. This is not giving an argument or a defense of the faith, nor a rebuke, or promoted by pride, haughtiness, or arrogance. it is speaking for the good of someone else.

These sound words are also given to us by the Holy Spirit and spoken out loud in the same manner that He speaks. Anyone who hears Him speak knows exactly what that means — the Holy Spirit has this wonderful way of being able to give our hearts a wake-up call and a hug at the same time!

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I have no idea of Your plans for our Buddhist friend, but do thank You for the grace You give to my hubby in the way he shares his testimony. My prayer is that You continue to speak through him, and that You use what he says in the lives of those who hear. Of course, this is for me too, that I will never hesitate to speak out what You have put in my heart, and never be ashamed or fearful of negative responses. I never know what You will do with those sound words You give us to share with others and for that reason, they must be shared.


No comments: