November 21, 2017

The repeating love of God



Before reading the devotional this morning, I happened to put the words, “Jesus loves me” on my screen saver so I would see it often. I need reminding because Satan’s original lie to Eve suggested that God does not love His people. She fell for it and since then, the devil has been using the same lie to mess up our concept of God and His love. We need to hear the truth as often as possible.

Maybe that is why modern Christian choruses often involve a great deal of repetition, but since I’ve a scattered and easily distracted mind, I’m not always fond of singing them.

Today’s devotional took me to an ancient psalm (song) of Israel that also has repetition. Each line of Psalm 136 ends with, “for His steadfast love endures forever.” I know I need to know this, but twenty-six reminders in a row?

Then I read it twice, and noticed that the words before the repetitions tell readers the reasons and ways that God loves them. I wrote the passage minus the repetition and took another look:

“Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good . . . Give thanks to the God of gods . . . Give thanks to the Lord of lords . . .  to him who alone does great wonders . . .  to him who by understanding made the heavens . . .  to him who spread out the earth above the waters . . .  to him who made the great lights . . .  the sun to rule over the day . . .  the moon and stars to rule over the night . . .  to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt . . .  and brought Israel out from among them . . .  with a strong hand and an outstretched arm . . . to him who divided the Red Sea in two . . . and made Israel pass through the midst of it . . . but overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red Sea . . . to him who led his people through the wilderness . . . to him who struck down great kings . . . and killed mighty kings . . . Sihon, king of the Amorites . . . and Og, king of Bashan . . . and gave their land as a heritage . . . a heritage to Israel his servant . . . It is he who remembered us in our low estate . . . and rescued us from our foes . . . he who gives food to all flesh . . . Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.” (Psalm 136:1–26)

God’s love for the original readers of this psalm was expressed in the wonders that He did in creation, in delivering them from bondage, in overcoming their enemies, in giving them a home, in remembering their weakness, and in providing what they needed to live. It is a simple list and a good one. It reminds me of all that God has done for me too.

Creation is filled with awesome wonder. How does it show God’s love? He gave me eyes to see it in living color, and a heart to be amazed by it. When I see the stars, a sunset, a leafy tree, flowers, horses and giraffes, water spilling over rocks, birds in flight, mountains and snow, all of it is saying that God loves me!

God also delivered me from bondage — to sin. While I sometimes feel as if I’m still wandering around in the wilderness, I too have the hope of a promised land. As I travel, the Lord goes before me to expose and defeat my enemies and carry me through all threats and trials. This is because He loves me.

He takes care of my daily needs too. We thank Him before we dive into the abundance of food, realizing that daily bread represents all provisions and our abundant life, another expression of His steadfast love.

^^^^^^^^
All this can be summed up in one word: Jesus. You delivered me and continue to deliver me from sin, from my past life and in my current spiritual battles to overcome the world, my flesh, and the powers of darkness. You hold my hand on my journey to the promised land, sustaining me and keeping me safe. You are the same yesterday, today, and the perfect expression of the steadfast love of God that endures forever.


No comments: