November 1, 2017

God’s Unsearchable Ways



The Bible is clear that no one will seek God. As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:10–12) Yet in some mysterious way, God elects some for salvation and not others.

Today’s devotional tries to reconcile this mystery by saying that God will reveal the gospel to those He chooses with irresistible power causing them to believe in Christ, but “all others will be left to perish in their chosen ignorance.

However, this reasoning does not work for me. If all are unrighteous and will not seek God, then this is also true of those who eventually believe. That is, I lived in ‘chosen ignorance’ too, so why then would God save me and not leave me that way like others who are the same?

The Bible says that God told Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” This means my salvation is not about my will (or my won’t) nor on my efforts (or lack thereof), but on God, who has mercy." (Romans 9:15–16) Why me and not some others?

I cannot say God picks some and not others because of what we can do, but I also cannot say that God is capricious, selecting this and not that because of whatever mood strikes Him. He is not like that. The basis of His selection is grace and mercy, but it is also a mystery.

"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!" (Romans 11:33)

It seems to me that faith is trusting God even when His workings do not have answers. It also seems to me that when I simply trust Him, He sometimes may show me the answers, not because I am smart or wise, but because I am content to trust Him without trying to figure it out, content to let His ways remain beyond me. As I write this, I’m reading today’s verses and am humbled . . .

“At that time Jesus declared, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’” (Matthew 11:25–30)

For most of my life, knowing things has been an important value, but lately I’m learning that academia and IQ are not nearly so important as trusting Jesus, whether it is with the knowns or the unknowns. His knowledge is incredible and I trust Him. Knowing Him is sufficient.

“The Lord builds up Jerusalem; he gathers the outcasts of Israel. He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names. Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure. The Lord lifts up the humble; he casts the wicked to the ground.” (Psalm 147:2–6)

^^^^^^^
Jesus, I still tense up a bit when someone treats me as if I don’t know anything, or if my understanding is challenged, but more and more I am content to be like a child holding the hand of my Father. You know the way I am going, and that is enough for me. Besides, that path proves to have far more revealed treasures than anything I could find or figure out for myself.


No comments: