November 25, 2017

Faith for the future



Last night, a few of us discussed qualities of the spiritual gift of encouragement, laughing because those who have this gift are usually chatterboxes. One other characteristic is that they are future-oriented. They do not dwell on the past and never let it drag them down. They are usually not too concerned with the present either, because they have the attitude that God will work everything out. They simply look ahead to whatever He will do and encourage others to do the same.

Yesterday I read that Christians do not live by explanations but by promises. At first, I wanted to disagree. God keeps revealing truths to me that bless my heart with a deeper understanding of Him and this world and myself. Those ‘explanations’ are an important part of each day for me because I am a bottom-line person who always wants to know the ‘why’ of what happened or is happening.

This morning’s devotional passage is about promise. The Lord reminded me that explanations point to the past, which cannot be changed, or to the present, which is a challenge to change. Too much focus on either can be discouraging. However, promise points to the future — and God gives us few clues about it. We have only His promises, but because they are from Him, they are also certain. The big difference between promises and explanations is that when God’s promises are fulfilled, the results will bring no regrets about the past and none of the agonies of the present:

“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.’ And he who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new.’ Also he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’” (Revelation 21:1–5)

God’s promises are about hope. Hebrews 11:1 says “Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” then goes on to give many examples. Noah built an ark at God’s warning about events not yet seen. Abraham was called to a place and went, not knowing where he was going. Sarah had the baby God promised even though she was too old to have babies. The list goes on, describing some who saw a bit of the promised blessings here on earth, yet others who “were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life.” Because of faith, they had great hope for their future with God!

Something better is coming. I used to keep a daily journal and found myself recording daily problems and issues to the point that discouragement often haunted me. Then I got in the habit of flipping ahead and writing four words on random blank pages. The words, “This too shall pass” always made me feel better when I got to that page, and sometimes made me laugh.

Hope is the reason for living by promise. Explanations may satisfy the frustration of not understanding why things happen, and may help with current decisions, but they do not give me hope. Only the promises of God can do that, yet they do more than that; they motivate me to abandon sin and live for Christ:

“Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1)
“His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.” (2 Peter 1:3–4)

Promises give hope yet God also fulfills them. That is, He is not like the parent who says, “Be patient and you will get a puppy” but never follows through because the promise was a manipulation to make the child be patient. Instead, God keeps His promises; better things are coming. All He wants from me is faith and patience:

“And we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness to have the full assurance of hope until the end, so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” (Hebrews 6:11–12)

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I’m learning as You do the explaining, but I’m also understanding the value of focusing more on what is ahead. The ‘now’ of life is okay, but the ‘not yet’ is exciting and because You promise an incredible future that lies before me, I can anticipate it with joyful hope. Thank You.
 



No comments: