November 10, 2017

Good news before breakfast



My devotional time this morning was delayed, but it was a sweet delay. A family member called, and we talked nearly an hour. He told me of how the Lord is at work in his life and the lives of his family. This good news delighted my heart and shows me again the power of God and how He answers prayer.

This person is a Christian. He has an attitude that blesses me, particularly the attitude of a peacemaker and one who wants to build people up not tear them down. He fits this description:

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.” (2 Corinthians 5:17–19)

While I was listening to him, I thought of the burden I’ve had for his life. Even though Jesus often whispers, “I’ve got that covered” this burden would not go away. Was I piling it on myself? Was it a reminder to keep praying? Did that indicate I was trying to make changes happen — even by my ‘hard praying’ rather than trusting God to keep His promises and do the work in this fellow’s life?

Perhaps all the above, but mostly the burden seemed like the ‘labor’ of the first part of what Jesus said in this well-known passage.

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28–30)

However, God changed it this morning with a visible assurance that put my heart at rest, just as Jesus promised to lighten the load when I bring it to Him. He does not want me to put on my to-do list the things that He alone can do. The yoke He gives is much easier than that!

I also notice those words: gentle and lowly in heart. This is about meekness and humility. Many say that meekness is like a tamed stallion that has submitted to its owner. The horse is not weak, but that power is under control. In this case, anything I can do is under the guiding and influence of the Holy Spirit.

Humility is easier to define. It means no arrogance or pride, no self-aggrandizement. It is not the putting down of self, but being taken up with others to the point that self is not given much thought. This too is the work of the Holy Spirit. I cannot do it.

Yet this is what Jesus is like and this characterizes the “burden” He wants me to carry, a “burden” I noticed in my caller this morning and an attitude that shows he is at rest with himself and his life. He even said that he turns down extras because, “I have nothing to prove.” He does not need the ego-boosts and perks that come with those kinds of offers.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I am smiling. Not only have You blessed this man in answer to my prayers, You have transformed him into a person I can look on as a great example for my own life. What a blessing You are — and I don’t mind at all that my breakfast was cold by the time I got off the phone!

No comments: