November 3, 2017

No parts, separations or divisions



I’m reading a book in which one of the characters is mentally ill. She has two egos. One is sweet and kind and the other is destructive. Some might say she was possessed. Today this malady is given a label and treated with drugs. Is it the same problem as those people whom Jesus encountered and called out of them evil spirits? I don’t know. In the book, she was held accountable for both extremes. Whether she did it in her name or in the name of her alter-ego, the law said she did it.

In a different sense, the Bible speaks of Christians as having two natures; the old self and the new. We are told to “walk in the Spirit” and “not fulfill the desires of the flesh” which makes us accountable. Even though walking in the Spirit means doing God’s work God’s way, we have a choice, at least most of the time. Sometimes, when I pray words come out that startle me — where did that come from? Sometimes I do things that seem natural at the time, yet when I think about them, I know that they were prompted by God, not by my sinful flesh.

Can any person be separated into parts? Can a saved person be separated into parts? The Bible does say:

“May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

This sounds like three parts, yet Bible language scholars cannot make a strong case that this is a three-part division. We are entire creations, one even with a spirit, soul, and body.

It is something like but not the same with the three persons of the trinity. The Bible speaks of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, yet sometimes speaks of the Son as the Father and the Spirit who lives in His people as the Spirit of Christ. God is one, yet there is a mysterious three in one that His people know is true but cannot explain. This is a mystery beyond our comprehension.

Another mystery — the Calvinists say God alone saves; we have no part in it. The Armenians put the emphasis on human will and say things like ‘no one will go to heaven against their will.’ The Bible speaks of God as our fortress, the One who saves, yet also says that we must turn to Him:

“The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; he is their stronghold in the time of trouble. The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him.” (Psalm 37:39–40)

The Bible also speaks of God’s choices and work that depends on nothing we do, yet at the same times tells us to do things His way. In other words, as a sinner I had no options but to sin, but as a saved person, I can now choose God’s way or my old sinful ways:

“Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.” (2 Timothy 2:20–23)

I don’t know how all of this works together. I know that God is the Savior and Redeemer. However, I also know that He holds me accountable to be saved and live as a redeemed person. Even more pertinent is that He tells me to stay away from controversial issues (as in all of the above) for it breeds quarrels.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, today I can put this to practice by praising You for saving me, and by acting like a saved person who lives under the dominion of the Holy Spirit rather than walking in the choices of sinful flesh. You have taught me to know the difference and given me the power of choice. Before You saved me, I could not do that. After I go to heaven, it will not me an issue. Sometimes I wish that were true here, but if it was, I would be sinless like Jesus and no doubt hated enough that others would want to string me up on a cross. So I am content with the mystery of carrying about this treasure in an often clueless earthen vessel and doing what You ask so I am living for You.


No comments: