July 29, 2024

We divide, God unites and multiplies...

 


Moving dozens of times, going to Bible school and seminary, and visiting churches while on vacations adds up to exposure to many different denominations. All were Christian, yet the emphasis of each varies. Since then, I’ve learned that this is a complex issue. Early Christian beliefs even had branches too, such as Jewish Christianity, Pauline Christianity and Gnostic Christianity. These days, some might say Catholicism, Protestantism and Orthodox, ’liberal’ vs. ‘evangelical’ or use other terms such as Calvinist or Arminians, never mind all the denominational titles.

Many theologians would divide Christians by how they interpret the way of salvation. For instance, Calvinists believe that God must produce in us the decisive desire for Christ. Arminians believe we must produce in ourselves the decisive desire for Christ. The Arminians say that God helps us and all people, but people provide the last, decisive impetus and desire for that belief.

For me, the Calvinist view seems the most biblical, not particularly because of Calvin’s five points but because it most glorifies God. Me being the master of my own fate seems to put me in the power seat rather than the Lord, and that glorifies me. Not biblical.

All that said, I also like how Watchman Nee defined the soul as being my intellect, emotions, and will. It is the part of me that runs my life without Christ. When Jesus saved me, He led me to understand that my mind, emotions, and volition needed to be turned over to Him, not abandoned but transformed. That is a process but also begun by Him when He made me a new creation:
From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. (2 Corinthians 5:16–17)
From this and other verses, walking in the flesh involves my mind, emotions, and choices. The new life is governed by the Holy Spirit in all three areas, yet the flesh stubbornly tries to maintain the primary voice in things. It wants life to be reasonable, comfortable, and done ‘my way’ so that it makes sense, feels good, and I have a sense of being in charge. However, trusting God often involves the opposites.

Not only that, I see these three fleshy elements having a focus in Christian denominations, in varying degrees and with much or little impact, but having an impact. The pentecostal denominations do focus on the Holy Spirit, but also emotions are important. The churches of God and its branches are more into human volition and making decisions (like “choose Christ”) and stress the importance of our will. The baptist-types stress right knowledge and having a sound mind. The devotional I’m using is a challenge because the focus is on the human will to the point that the author believes we can decide ourselves out of eternal life.

One pastor explains that if you focus on something with a magnifying glass, the things around it become fuzzy, even distorted. This seems to be the problem with all these denominations and various belief systems. We get too involved on what we think is a major issue and miss the importance of the entire Word of God, even the importance of glorifying God — instead of my thinking, my feelings, my will. Even Jesus said, “Not my will but thine be done” and He shows us to rely totally on our heavenly Father, not any part of me, myself, or I. While that is safe and takes time and faith to learn, it is also scary if I don’t know the love of God or trust Him to want the best for me and the glory that is due Him.

I come from a weekend that was so blessed by God that I’m almost numb with gratitude and joy. How can I say thanks? As the main organizer for this reunion, I could say “I did it” and that would not only not be true, it would ruin the blessing. God did it all and I feel like a bystander at a major display of His power and love. Others, even those not Christian, have expressed the wonder of what this event has done to their hearts. Only God. Only God.

PRAY: Jesus, how can I say thanks for the things You have done? I want the world to know that You love us, all of us, and that You can do anything. Your big blessing is coming here to die for us that we might live. After that, all is incredible, designed to transform us into Your image. Amazing grace! Again, I worship You, the God who is enough!



No comments: