July 16, 2024

Mind my own life…

God’s ways are never predictable yet always a blessing. Last night at a church league game, one of our team pulled a major error that resulted in a loss for us. I was annoyed. However, God used it to answer a seemingly unrelated question I’d been praying about.

My question concerned a concern that I’ve had about a third person. I am constantly annoyed with her and am not sure why. What is going on in her life that incurs my attitude? What is going on in my life that this person should bother me?

Then, at that game, I realized something. The man who made the major error tends to boast of his talents and tells everyone else how to play. His error was a major humbling experience, and I know that is more important to the Lord than our team winning the game. This reminded me of an old story and then answered my questions about concerns for other people.

The story is out of one from the Chronicles of Narnia called “The Horse and His Boy.” Two riders are together. The boy watches as Aslan, the lion representing Jesus, leaps on the back of the other horse and claws the girl who is riding it. In horror, the boy asks why this is happening and Aslan replies, “This is her story, not yours.”

Then I thought of Peter and how he was told of his future by Jesus. After Peter had betrayed Him, Jesus said to him three times, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved but Jesus told him to feed His sheep. Then Jesus said…

Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.” Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?” When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” (John 21:17–22)
In other words, Aslan as Jesus, and Jesus Himself tell those who ask such questions to mind our own business. What He is doing in the lives of others, particularly as a strong discipline, is none of my business. He disciplines me and unless I share it, it is not on the evening news. Such is His amazing grace. He does not expose my sins unless I openly do it myself.

I do not need to know what He is doing in the life of someone else. They may have an attitude that affects their lives that I cannot pin-point, or they may not like me for some reason that God has not yet clawed my back about. Whatever is going on in both of us is subject to His conviction and correction, but in grace and kindness, He is not making it public knowledge, or at least not revealing it to me. He knows when I am not in a place where I can be trusted with such awareness. He says, “What is that to you? You follow me.”

PRAY: Jesus, I get it. I can pray for that man whose arrogance was obviously humbled. I can pray for the people who annoy me… but mostly need to pray for my own attitude. To be like You is to protect the people in Your care from others who have not yet learned to mind their own business. If I can be helpful and gracious, You will keep me informed about how to pray. Otherwise, I need to mind my own business and my attitudes lest I find You clawing at my conscience to correct me instead of them.


No comments: