July 24, 2024

Source of Truth?


Reading the work of someone who thinks that our will is key to being saved has been a helpful exercise. This author warns against letting feelings dictate their theology, yet needs a warning also. Christians should not let their experiences dictate their theology either. Nor should we decide that all the warnings in the Bible apply to those who have experienced new life in Christ as a result of His gift of faith.
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8–10)
Faith in Christ is a gift. It is given to those that are chosen by God to bear fruit that glorifies Him. Also, He supplies all we need to do His will — all we need to do is ask.
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (John 15:16)
However, there are people who hear the gospel and know it is true, but their faith is not the same as saving faith. It is more like the demon’s who believe and tremble, or the seed that falls on non-fertile soil in the parable of the sower. It is a faith that does not last. The OT illustrates it and the NT describes this and warns any who have this temporary or inadequate ‘faith’ by giving examples and describing true, lasting faith and what it looks like:
(Many Israelites) were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. (Romans 11:20–22)
Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. (John 15:2–6)
For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. (Hebrews 10:26–27)
As the NT says, the test of true faith is what happens when I have it. Fruit is described in Galatians 5 and 1 Corinthians 13 and throughout the Bible. Without it, any ‘faith’ is not in the saving work of Jesus Christ with this gift that makes it possible. On the other hand, it is possible to think “my faith saves me” by having faith in faith rather than in the Savior. Satan’s lies are abundant and subtle. However, the NT writes to those who fall for them and says this:
For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. For, “Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay; but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.” But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls. (Hebrews 10:36–39)
PRAY: Jesus, I know emotions can side-track me, my will is willy-nilly and not like Your will, and my mind comes up with many non-biblical and selfish ideas. Yet in all this, Your Holy Spirit keeps me trusting You and not all that fleshy nonsense. This is because my salvation depends on You, not my will, not my feelings, and certainly not my ability to always think rightly. You are the living Word and Your book is the written Word, saving and keeping me just as You promise. Nothing I think, do, or experience can stop You from this, or even ‘help’ You do what You alone can do and have done. Eternal means eternal.


No comments: