July 17, 2024

The Battle belongs to God

In the past few months I’ve noticed that the greater faith I have in God, the more I am able to do things I thought I could not do. In other words, faith in me doesn’t work very well. When what I decide to do doesn’t work out, confidence drops. When what God decides to do, it happens. Today’s reading agrees with this:

It is nothing to God to work with many or with few, and no giants or walled cities can successfully oppose Him. It was unbelief, therefore, and unbelief alone that prevented the Israelites from going into the Promised Land. It may have sounded like humility to themselves to talk of their own weakness and of the strength of their enemies, but it was really unbelief.
The devotional author goes on to say that focus is more important than self-image. It might seem humble to focus on my weakness, but that also puts the spotlight on me and my sin instead of Christ. I cannot do what He asks, but He goes before me and works to perfect His strength in my weakness.
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9–10)
I’ve heard this said flippantly, as if the speaker knew the teaching but it was not part of their experience or a reality that they felt weak. I’ve done the same thing, yet still put confidence in my strengths. It is when I faced “giants in the land” that weakness shows up and it becomes very much a fact that without Christ, I can do nothing.

And this is the odd part: reaching that place is where the life  of Christ and His power becomes obvious. It is in the place where I say “I can’t” and am totally convinced of my weakness. In that place is where another truth is realized:
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. (Romans 8:37)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love (Ephesians 1:3–4)
In all this, another factor is at work — faith. In the face of giants, unbelief gives up when the focus is on me and weakness. Yet Jesus graciously comes to the rescue of those who are helpless. I see Him in a different way when I cannot do what I know He wants me to do. Instead of asking the impossible, He is asking me to let Him do it. Like that hand in the glove. I need to stop trying to move the hand and let Him move me.

Even though I still feel weak and unable. Even though the task seems impossible. And when He begins to move, and I see the results, my faith in Him soars… oh, I know, faith is the assurance of things unseen, yet when He moves, He lets me see it — and He fills my heart with praise and great joy. I want to tell the world about the wonder of Jesus Christ.

PRAY: Jesus, I’m such a small nothing, a tiny blimp in history and in Your kingdom, yet You allow me to watch You change weaklings into conquerors, which is an amazing thing, particularly in the hearts of the weaklings! What You do is upside down and backwards compared to how the world thinks we should live when we want to make things happen. How delightful to be in on this ‘secret’ of living as a weak winner instead of a do-it-myself nothing.


No comments: