July 28, 2024

God at work!

The events of the past two days are almost impossible to describe. For months I’ve been planning a family reunion, only because God would not let me say no. I’ve felt blind, helpless, never done this. Prayed much. God woke me three times at 5 am with instructions for the next steps. It has been an unbelievable ride as I kept asking Him for help. Every day brought something amazing, either great good news or terrifying situations, sometimes both. I kept praying, stumbling along, asking others for help.

And things began to happen. Out of my control, not in the plan. Obviously God was taking the reins and making this His event. After months of many emails, web posts, and phone calls, the time finally came.
It started Thursday night with a walk through for the venue and a damage deposit. The weather was iffy. I prayed again — for good weather. The next morning all the wildfire smoke was gone and the sky was blue, but the wind was fierce. I asked Him to change that. Within five minutes, no wind. For these three days, near perfect weather. Heat wave cooled, nights cooler. Fresh air. Amazing.

Friday morning brought about half of those registered with the rest of the family arriving the next day. Some came in campers, others stayed in nearby hotels. A few still live in the area we grew up, first cousins and friends for a lifetime. Many of them had not seen each other for decades, or never, yet it was as if all were old friends.

I felt like a spectator. Nothing could have prepared me for the incredible unity and delight of nearly one hundred people mingling together in such perfection. The catered food was perfect and the sharing and openness was amazing. The few Christians in the group rejoiced with me at what God was doing.

Again, I felt like a spectator. When people tried to thank me, I told them this was the blessing of God who loves families and the answer to many prayers. These verses are one way to describe what we experienced at this family gathering:

I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me; hear my words. (Psalm 17:6)
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you. (Psalm 9:10)
My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. (Psalm 63:5–7)
There is not enough space to write of all the good things God showered us with in this reunion. All I can repeat is what the psalmist says and that surely God is enough. He knows how to make a reunion totally unforgettable.

PRAY: Jesus, I am overwhelmed by You. This special time was not my skill, but yours. Yet my lack of skill was not on stage either. You are the Great Organizer of Events and this reunion has been a testimony to Your love and power and the joy You desire for Your people. Many thanks for letting me watch You at work!


No comments: