July 11, 2024

Tested by Fire

 


Two homes burned this week in our city and news footage showed terrible destruction. My thoughts of fire are usually negative. However, today’s reading is a reminder that God uses it to describe His great love. I was accepted and died for — even while a sinner, but He loves me too much to leave me in that condition. He will not permit evil to linger undiscovered and uncured in me and allows trials like fire to refine my life.

As the reading says, this is not severity but mercy and character building. I am to be a friend of God throughout all eternity, far grander than even redemption and it requires a deep harmony with His will. It is an unspeakable boon that He loves me enough to do whatever is necessary to make me fit for companionship with Himself. To this He says:
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 5:6–11)
Part of the purpose for trials also affects this life. He wants to equip me to know and do His will while I’m here on earth:
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. (Hebrews 13:20–21)
He also wants to protect me from lies, so He continually intercedes for me as He did for Peter: “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” (Luke 22:31–32)

He is gracious to explain His purpose for trials. I am saved, promised eternal life, and can rejoice in it, even though… “Now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 1:3–7)

The fire thing is described in the OT:
Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tried you in the furnace of affliction. For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another. (Isaiah 48:10–11)
For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried. You brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs; you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance. (Psalm 66:10–12)
The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts. (Proverbs 17:3)
Even Job understood trials, experiencing far more than I ever will yet his reaction was twofold:
But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold. My foot has held fast to his steps; I have kept his way and have not turned aside. I have not departed from the commandment of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food. But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back? What he desires, that he does. For he will complete what he appoints for me, and many such things are in his mind. Therefore I am terrified at his presence; when I consider, I am in dread of him. God has made my heart faint; the Almighty has terrified me… (Job 23:10–16)
PRAY: Jesus, I sometimes dread Your power, yet like Job can also trust Your refining plan. You use fire, but Your heart is for me, not to destroy me but my sinfulness, and draw me deeper and closer to Your heart. Enable me to focus on the image of refined gold, not on the fire that enables its purity.


No comments: