April 12, 2024

Finger-Pointing?


 An old adage says to beware of pointing a finger at others for there are three pointing back at yourself. For that, I am lately noticing, but with caution, that many Christians seem unaware of the difference between walking in the Spirit and living according to the flesh or their old nature. This is not about behavior. We can do all the right things but with the wrong motives, seemingly unaware that our new life in Christ is about a changed nature, not merely choosing ‘right’ behavior.

Perhaps my observations have become heighten by reading Stephen Charnock’s two volume set entitled The Existence and Attributes of God. It was written in 1853 but speaks loudly today. I’m not yet to page 200 and deeply aware of how subtle that old nature, dead in Christ yet acting very much alive, can ruin my Christian life with its self-centered attitudes. That said, there is a cure:
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:12–13)
Some say the Bible is a ‘dead’ book, but it is living and able to do what no one but God can do for me: it discerns and exposes my heart and motivations, those from the Holy Spirit and those from the world, the flesh, and the devil.

Those last three are can be sources from which ideas and impressions come, and they are spiritual enemies, often disguising themselves as ‘angels of light’ and giving me the false notion that their ideas are from God.

These are not always overtly sinful ideas. They can appear perfectly legit, such as “start a Bible study” but the motivation involves self-glory, or impatience with an unmet need, or other reasons than “God is telling me” to do whatever the idea or plan might be.

These appeals to the flesh are often side-tracked by God who saves me from being reckless to listen to them. He protects me from failures and shame. At the same time, many children of God have been deluded into paths of extreme fanaticism by listening to the enemy’s schemes but thinking they were following the Lord.

I’m certain He sees the sincerity of our hearts. When I’ve not discerned my own selfish motives, He will show me, convict me, forgive and clarify as well, but the consequences are, at the very least, a waste of time and energy.

Today’s devotional says all our leadings and ideas need to be tested by Scripture — not just for their ‘rightness’ but that testing needs to include “Is this from the flesh?” The world and the devil may or may not be easy to spot, depending on the state of my flesh. Am I aware that it is dead to God? Or do I feed it and love it? Charnock says that too often Christians simply want to run their own lives. He calls it ‘practical atheism’ and the Bible calls it sin.
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. (Isaiah 53:6)
Sin’s answer is always confession and receiving forgiveness and cleansing from the Lord.

PRAY: Jesus, the psalmist prayed:
Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Psalm 139:23–24)
This is my prayer too. You know me better than I know myself. Whenever I allow that old nature to crawl out of its grave and start running things, I may miss it, but You never do. Purify my heart and make it total Yours. Amen.


No comments: