April 7, 2024

The Role of Emotions


The focus of today’s devotions is again on disregarding emotions and “the will being the real king’” that governs faith. This is too much negativity about devotions for the NT identifies two emotions being positive: joy and peace.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22–23)
These two emotions are from the Holy Spirit and are like green traffic lights. If they are not in my life or suddenly go missing, I know that I have business to do with God. His Spirit is no longer filling my heart and mind and I have sin to confess.

The joy of the Lord is a powerful emotion. If I am filled with the Spirit, that joy is present and deep, bubbling up inside of me even when circumstances and burdens are also present and deep. Peace is the same. It is from God and often makes no sense as its presence does not depend on circumstances either.
Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:5–7)
A Spirit-filled friend recently said to an anxious Christian, “Why pray when you can worry?” And this hit me as an apt reminder that God is about joy and peace. He is glad to give it to His children from deep inside, from His Spirit to our inner spirit where it flows out of us  — into our thinking and affecting our decisions. It is easier to obey Him when my heart is connected to His heart and feeling the wonder of His joy and peace.

I’ve noticed that some Christian denominations focus on one of the three parts of the human soul: intellect, emotions and will. For some, having accurate knowledge is most important. Others love to express their feelings, particularly in worship.

Others stress the value of the will. However, the Scriptures tell me that all three are God's and need to be yielded to His Spirit. He uses the human mind, forming ideas for service and to do good in this world. He uses our emotions to signal us to danger, action, and the state of our walk with Him. He uses the will to say YES to His commands. These three motivate my body to get off my duff and do what He tells me to do, thus involving my body. In walking with Jesus, all of me is engaged. If I ignore my emotions, then joy means nothing and peace is only a state of mind, not a guard for my heart and mind or an indicator of what is going on in my spiritual life.

While the NT says, “God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control” (2 Timothy 1:7) it also says, “Bondservants, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.” (Colossians 3:22). Both verses use the same root word for fear. Fear of people will result in being unable to love others and tell them about Jesus. A denial of fear can result in not fearing God. Dismissing that emotion is not wise. Being aware of what comes from God and what comes from the flesh is important when it comes to fear, even though it seems negative.

PRAY: Jesus, You tossed the money changers out of the temple, wept at the death of Lazarus, and sweat blood in Gethsemane — all involved emotions. You also knew the hearts of others, remembered OT words, and obeyed all that the Father asked of You saying “Not my will but Thine be done.” You were fully engaged and the Spirit ruled in Your every thought, word, and deed. I want to be like You, always and in every part of me. Thank You that this is Your goal for me also.


 

No comments: