April 13, 2024

Transparent about my weaknesses?

 
The Christians my husband and I spend time with have been talking about how to know the will of God, particularly to know which motivations come from Him and which are from our selfish old nature. All realize that just because that flesh nature is dead (separated from God) does not mean it shuts up and leaves us to hear God only.

Even Jesus, who is God in human flesh, was pressured by the world who wanted to make Him king and later to kill Him. The devil also tempted Him. He did not have a sin nature yet He was able “to sympathize with our weaknesses” because “He was tempted as we are, yet without sin.” (Hebrews 4:15) How did Jesus know the will of God? He gave a big clue when He said:

If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority. (John 7:17)
Being willing to do whatever God tells me is important to knowing what He wants. Why would He reveal anything about His plans to a person that is not willing to do whatever He says! So yielded to obedience is a major part of knowing the difference. Not my will but Thine be done.

My level of concern for others is also a measurement. If all I think about and pray about is me and mine, then I’m out of His will. Today’s devotional puts it this way…
We never care about the little details of people’s lives unless we love them. It is a matter of indifference to us what the majority of people do, or how they spend their time. But as soon as we begin to love someone, we begin to care.

This goes both ways. I become more certain of God's love for me as I experience it in the details of life. As I realize He is caring for me in every way and at all times the more I am interested in what He is doing for others. This happens in relationships and is evidence that when God’s love is “spread abroad in my heart” I am less focused on me but them. His love becomes a daily, even a minute-by-minute guidance and motivator. Knowing how much I am loved translates into knowing what God is saying, knowing how He speaks and what He asks of me. This involves listening but it also involves shunning the devil’s lie that says the Lord does not want the best for me. When I am convinced He does, I can ignore all threats that say otherwise. I also become a better listener and have more freedom to focus on those around me.

Another way to know His will is to believe His promises. He says:
God works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life… (Philippians 2:13–16)
I can trust Him to work in me as well as guide me. If flesh and other sources lead me astray, the Lord works in my will so I will do His will. I can know it by lack of complaining and arguing on my part, and by holding to what His Word tells me. No deviations or excuses, but joyful contentment.

As this passage says, God promises to work in me a desire to do His will. He is the Savior and works in my nature so I want the same things as He wants and will behave and do things that please Him. He produces that desire in such a way that I know the liberty of following those inner desires  rather than doing anything out of duty. The requirements might be a challenge but the desire to obey is strong and certain, not a sense of being driven. He puts His will on our hearts and minds (Hebrews 10:16) so we know what He asks.

PRAY: Jesus, I’ve a problem with a person who never speaks of weakness or doubts or any struggles with the flesh. That seems unrealistic, even foreign to me. Even You, in Your perfection, sweat blood in the garden about going to the cross. This person never seems to wrestle with anything. Am I envious? Or is this discernment from You and a signal to pray for the ability to glory in weakness like Paul did (2 Corinthians 9-10) so this person will experience a much deeper grace? Again, show me Your perfect will.


No comments: