April 11, 2024

When the Bible is silent…

 
The Bible is the Word of God, not a book of disjointed slogans or random sayings. The standard illustration of misuse is the person who looks for advice, flips open the Bible and randomly points to a verse that says, “Judas went out and hanged himself.” Not impressed, that person goes on and does it again only to read, “Go thou and do likewise.”

As amusing as that is, people have used isolated texts to sanction things that are totally opposed to the principles of Scripture. This can lead to fanaticism if an isolated text pressures obedience no matter what wrong thing it may lead to. How sad that God's principles are violated by using the excuse of obedience to what His Word says.
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you. (Psalm 9:10)
However, life is filled with decisions and choices on topics the Bible does not address. What then? Yesterday’s post gave three other options. God speaks through creation, circumstances, and His children. Creation tells me He is orderly in randomness. He rarely plants trees in a straight line, yet His work has beauty and is pleasing. Will my decision reflect that?

He also uses circumstances. My sister tells of driving to another city with the intention of sharing the gospel with our uncle who was in the hospital. She prayed, “Lord, if he is not ready to hear it, turn me around.” At that moment, her car hit a patch of ice, did a one-eighty and she was in the ditch facing the other direction. She went home, but visited our uncle the next day. He was ready and professed faith in Christ. He died two weeks later to join His Savior.

God also gives advice through His people. However, this advice must harmonize. God cannot say in one voice that which He contradicts in another. Therefore, if one person gives a view that another contradicts, it is not safe to proceed.

We once were members of a church that would not move ahead with decisions unless the elders all agreed, and they had more than seventy elders at that time. They told of a plan to build a new education center, but one elder voted against it. The others waited and prayed. It eventually became obvious that for various reasons, the building should not happen. The voting changed and all sided with the one who first heard this warning from God.

When it seems God is telling me to do something, I usually see whether or not it fits Scripture. My difficulty is in my motivation. Is this particular opportunity for my benefit, or from a sense of duty, or one of my wild ideas, or does He want me to go ahead? In some instances, the answer is to wait for clarity, or don’t do this now but later. Sometimes in waiting for an answer, I forget all about it. God isn’t in it or He would keep nudging me. I wanted to call a friend this week and only got through when she was home — and I soon realized that was the right time to call. If not sure, waiting is a good idea.
But for you, O Lord, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer. (Psalm 38:15)
Another friend told me that she knew God told her three times not to do something, but she did it anyway and lost some money. A second person was told to speak to a certain pastor about God’s love for him and she resisted but eventually went — because that idea passed the biblical test. Afterwards she discovered that he needed to hear what she said because it changed his life and ministry.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. (Proverbs 3:5–6)
PRAY: Jesus, You are so good to verify what You want from me. I know if any of these tests fail, it is not safe to proceed. I must wait in quiet trust until You show me Your will. You do that when I am yielded, not worried or wanting You to hurry. If something is not Your will You know how to give me a red light. If not, I need to wait for clarity. Thank You for giving me a deep hunger to read Your Word and to know Your voice. You are truly my Savior and my Friend.


No comments: