October 2, 2022

Praising God’s Goodness

 

READ Psalm 125–129

Three things bless my heart as I read these short psalms. One is that God is always with me and taking care of me and all His people:

As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people, from this time forth and forevermore. (Psalm 125:2)

The Lord has done great things for us; we are glad. (126:3)

The sense of God’s presence is powerful. Even if life lurches and bad news comes, realizing He is here, close, caring, is a great thing. Imagine being in the den of hungry lions and they stay away. Imagine being in a fire and not feeling the heat or the destruction of the flames. Imagine losing someone beloved and receiving such comfort that the loss is made small because of the gain. The Lord does these great things, and I am glad.

The second is that He is not only here but involved in the details of my life. The psalmist says:

Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. (127:1–2)

My husband makes much of my ability to sleep. After an excursion yesterday, I felt tired and decided to have a nap. There was a loud football game on television but seconds after lying down on the sofa a bare six feet or so from the TV, the next thing I knew was waking up to a different game two hours later and saying, “Who won the other game?”

Good sleep is only part of it. Because He cares about every detail, I prayed much over a recent project. Each step was a challenge, but I prayed for guidance and ideas — and God provided. The project turned out far better than I’d hoped and I credit the Lord for that success.

As the psalmist says, He removes anxiety by revealing that He is sovereign. I visited a neighbor this week, not a Christian yet but she is totally convinced that nothing happens apart from God’s hand in it, including seemingly bad news, accidents, and other horrors. She said, “He has a purpose and we need to realize that.” I rejoice in that truth. The psalmist says all that we do is in vain if we leave Him out of it, yet we cannot leave Him out of it. He does build the house and watch over the city. Our fretting is the vanity. Knowing He is right here and that He cares is the blessing.

The third truth in these verses is about family . . .

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. (127:3)

Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in his ways! You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you. (128:1–2)

May you see your children’s children! Peace be upon Israel! (128:6)

There is not enough space here to tell of how God uses our children to bless us, even though my mothering was not as biblical as I now know it could have been. However, through all sorts of trials and good times, His presence has been evident. He uses our children to ‘raise’ us to stronger faith, to greater thankfulness, and to richer blessings. Not only have we seen our children’s children, but the next generation of five great grandchildren . . . and the doctors told my parents I would not live past sixteen! Only God, only God.

Thanksgiving is next week, yet I am thankful right now for God’s presence, His care, and our family, both our offspring and the larger family of God which is also a great blessing. God is good and for that, I worship and praise Him!

 

No comments: