October 9, 2022

The Power of Thinking Truth . . .

 

READ Philippians 1–4

Sometimes I meet Christians who are old but not very mature. Often I think of myself that way. Will I ever grow up? However, instead of giving myself a “grow up” lecture, wouldn’t it be wiser to talk to myself the way Paul communicated with the Philippians . . . ?

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

He did not focus on the negatives like I tend to do. Instead he kept pointing these believers to the power of God, what He has done, and what He will do:

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (1:9–11)

He related his own experience of being in jail and how God used that to “advance the gospel, so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ” and others became “much more bold to speak the word without fear.” (1:12–14) He wanted them to not be ashamed but courageous and to realize that dying and being with Christ is the best thing that could happen even though he remained to help them in their spiritual growth. (1:20–24)

I should preach to myself truth, and stand firm without being afraid of what opposing people can do because their opposition “is a clear sign to them of their destruction” and that I am saved. (1:27–28)

I need to take care of my spiritual life, but not in “selfish ambition or conceit.” Just as Jesus considered others more important than Himself, I need to humble myself and serve them, even if it means death. Consider Jesus, not be concerned about me, me, me. (2:3–8)

I’m also to remember that even as I “work out my own salvation with fear and trembling, it is God who works in me, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” So I must quit grumbling and shine as a “light in this world” that has become so “crooked and twisted.” (2:12–15)

This means being “found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith” remembering I’m not there yet but not bemoaning that. Instead, be positive and press on — for my prize is the “upward call of God in Christ Jesus” and my “citizenship is in heaven” where someday He will transform my body and my life to be like Him. It is those thoughts that keep me moving forward, not admonitions to ‘grow up’ or be anxious about it — or anything else for that matter.

Paul advises “not to be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let my requests be made known to God and His peace, which surpasses all understanding, will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.” (4:6–7)

How I think is vital to how I live, which is why this passage says, “Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Philippians 4:6–8)

Knowing the sovereignty of God is important too. This teaches me to be content, no matter what. As my mother used to say about the negatives in life, “I must need it, or I would not be getting it” and as Paul affirms, “I can do all things through him who strengthens me” because “my God will supply every need according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:11-13; 19)

When Self-talk mirrors the world, the flesh, and the devil’s lies, I’m focused on me and am miserable. When self-talk reflects the truth of God’s power and love, that love and His peace and joy give me power over any junk that tries to rob me of faith in Christ and the abundant life that He gives me.

 

No comments: