October 4, 2022

Totally known and totally loved

 

READ Psalm 135–139

We began our small group meetings after a summer hiatus. How good to catch up on what the Lord has been doing in each life and to realize afresh that we share in our experiences with God. Whether it is a struggle with something or answered prayer or the unexpected wonders that He has done, we could all nod our heads and say, “Yes, I know what you are saying.”

Each of us “know that the Lord is great, and that our Lord is above all gods. Whatever the Lord pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.” We also know Lord, that “Your name endures forever, your renown, O Lord, throughout all ages. For the Lord will vindicate his people and have compassion on his servants.” (Psalm 135:5–6, 13–14)

We also “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of gods, for his steadfast love endures forever. Give thanks to the Lord of lords, for his steadfast love endures forever” and list the many things He has done in our lives, just as the psalmist did, knowing that He is the “the God of heaven” and “His steadfast love endures forever.” (136)

Some of the group expressed how much they had learned over the past few weeks. One was not spelled out but shared in the stories: that we learned that there are times to praise God and times to be quiet. Today’s reading asks, “How shall we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land?” Yet this silence does not forget God. As the psalmist says, “If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill! Let my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth, if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy!” (137:4–6) We learn that those who mock God will also mock our praise.

But not all of them. My story was about a person who once rolled her eyes at talk of God’s power, but now is praising Him and convinced of His sovereignty. I think of her again as I read these verses:

On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased. All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O Lord, for they have heard the words of your mouth, and they shall sing of the ways of the Lord, for great is the glory of the Lord. For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly, but the haughty he knows from afar. (138:3–6)

Each of us can testify that God is with us and knows us, not the knowledge that we exist but a deeper, intimate knowledge. The psalmist expresses it very well:

O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. (139:1–6)

He even knew all about us and what our lives would be before we were born. “Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” (139:16)

It is because of this intimacy, this power of God and His steadfast and enduring love that I can trust Him in every way. I have no idea what the day will bring or if my sinful self will try to make all my decisions. For that, and because He loves me, I pray as did the psalmist — today and many other days . . .

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (139:23–24)

This all-knowing God is motivated by all that is best for me and who better to discern anything that will interfere with that ‘best’ — and remove it. I’m so thankful Lord that You teach Your people to listen and obey. It is because of You that we share in the wonder of being Your children that You totally know and totally love.

 

No comments: