October 20, 2022

Dealing with unpredictable people . . .

READ 1 Samuel 24–27

The NT speaks of a double-minded person as someone whose faith goes on and off like a faulty light bulb. It says:

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. (James 1:5–8)

This describes unpredictable people who sometimes seem to trust God and be filled with the Spirit, and other times they are full of doubt, upset, confused, angry and difficult to talk to, as if truth has abandoned them. This behavior could mean the absence of any faith, yet it seems more like Galatians 5:16–17 that says, “Walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.”

Christians are supposed to be filled with the Spirit, live by Him and not do things in a fleshy or self-motivated way. To flop back and forth between the two is being double-minded.

The story of Saul and David illustrates how Saul was like that. He tried to kill David many times because of his jealousy and fear. When David did not retaliate, Saul said things like:

“You are more righteous than I, for you have repaid me good, whereas I have repaid you evil. And you have declared this day how you have dealt well with me; in that you did not kill me when the Lord put me into your hands. For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away safe? So may the Lord reward you with good for what you have done to me this day. And now, behold, I know that you shall surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hand. Swear to me therefore by the Lord that you will not cut off my offspring after me, and that you will not destroy my name out of my father’s house.” (24:17–22)

On one occasion David sought hospitality from a foolish man who ignored him. David decided to retaliate but was stopped by that man’s wife who warned him not to do such a thing. David replied:

“Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, who sent you this day to meet me! Blessed be your discretion, and blessed be you, who have kept me this day from bloodguilt and from working salvation with my own hand! For as surely as the Lord, the God of Israel, lives, who has restrained me from hurting you, unless you had hurried and come to meet me, truly by morning there had not been left to Nabal so much as one male . . . .” Go up in peace to your house. See, I have obeyed your voice, and I have granted your petition.” (25:32–35)

The Lord “struck Nabal, and he died” obviously not a man of faith. Yet Saul was not always like Nabal. He also wanted to kill David but each time David showed kindness and spared him, he seemed to change his mind.

In next encounter, David could easily have killed him but didn’t. Saul said, “Blessed be you, my son David! You will do many things and will succeed in them.” At that, David went his way, and Saul returned to his place. (26:24–25) However, this didn’t earn David’s trust.

David said in his heart, “Now I shall perish one day by the hand of Saul. There is nothing better for me than that I should escape to the land of the Philistines. Then Saul will despair of seeking me any longer within the borders of Israel, and I shall escape out of his hand.”

David took his men and served the Philistines. When Saul was told where David had gone, “he no longer sought him.”

I understand David’s lack of trust. One double-minded person I avoid because he can be so adamant and unreasonable about certain issues that he is painful to talk to. Another person rattles off Scripture with great accuracy yet in her next breath says the opposite. Talking to her is also painful. Yet reading how David handled Saul gives me instruction. Always be kind.

Also, these stories show that God was testing His future king and preparing him for his royal position. Leaders of every description need to know how to deal with merciless people who want to tear them down. David’s many encounters with Saul and that one encounter with Nabal showed him what God wanted when attacked by unstable people. Those I know do not try to kill me, but I am not to allow them to bring out my fleshy selfishness in retaliation.

 

No comments: