October 6, 2022

From first thing in the morning . . .

 

READ Psalm 146–150

The first two verses of this reading are a rebuke. I woke up in a bad mood. This often happens. I didn’t want to get up, do the regular tasks of the day, or any tasks at all. I’d slept nine hours but felt as if I could sleep all day. It was with effort that I tossed back the covers and sat up. Only habit had me walking and singing praise songs for 10-15 minutes. Then this . . .

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, O my soul! I will praise the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. (Psalm 146:1–2)

The psalmist says not to put my trust in people but in God who created and cared for me, who set me free from sin, who opens my eyes and lifts me up, who loves me and watches over me. The Lord, my God, reigns forever. I should wake up and rejoice — not wake up and grumble.

The next psalm also is a rebuke to my morning attitude. It begins with:

Praise the Lord! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting. (147:1)

This time, praise because He builds me up, heals my brokenness, binds my wounds. This is the God who numbers and names all the stars. That new telescope reveals how awesome is that task! “Great is our Lord and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure” (147:5)

I should sing to Him with thanksgiving. He not only takes care of the earth and all that is in it, He also gives me another day. As I walked, I realized that I’m asking for a long and productive life and belly-aching about it at the same time. As my husband often says, every day I wake up by the grace of God. The Lord takes care of me so well, and my family, and the world. He does not deal everyone with this amazing care I enjoy. I am ashamed of my first-thing-in-the-morning attitude.

Psalm 148 bids praise from angels, sun and moon, stars, heavens and waters, sea creatures, fire and hail, snow and mist, stormy wind, mountain and hills, fruit trees and cedars, beasts, all livestock, creeping things, birds, kings of the earth, all people young and old, men and women and children. He says:

Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his majesty is above earth and heaven. (148:13)

Am I so dense that my name is not included so I can consider myself left out? Psalm 149 includes all who belong to Him and even gets specific about where this should happen:

Praise the Lord! Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the godly . . . . Let the godly exult in glory; let them sing for joy on their beds. (149:1; 5)

Ouch. At church is one thing, but in bed? As if that is not pointed enough, Psalm 150 covers it:

Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! (150:1–6)

While I am still breathing, I’ve one major task in life. It has no time limit, no specified location, no limits. When I open my eyes and am alive, whenever and wherever, I’m to glorify and praise the One who gave me this day, every day, and life itself! Amen.

 

No comments: