October 5, 2022

Praying like David prayed . . .

 

READ Psalm 140–144

These psalms are from David who experienced much opposition both before he became king and after. He wrote: “Deliver me, O Lord, from evil men; preserve me from violent men, who plan evil things in their heart and stir up wars continually. They make their tongue sharp as a serpent’s, and under their lips is the venom of asps. Selah” (Psalm 140:1–3)

I’ve never had his experiences. My worst enemies are the world’s sinful attitudes, my flesh that too easily falls into those attitude, and the devil who feeds lies in an effort to make that happen. For all of that still I can pray with David . . .

Deliver me, O Lord, from the accuser who lies to me and about me; preserve me from responding to anyone in a sinful reaction, and from planning retaliation in my heart that only stirs up more trouble. Make my speech gracious and gentle, filled with life-giving love and truth.

David prays several times and his words help me pray also . . .

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with others who work iniquity . . . ! Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness; let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head; let my head not refuse it. Yet my prayer is continually against their evil deeds.” (141:3–5)

Lately, I’ve noticed how many seem to resent those who stand up for truth and righteousness. Sometimes I feel alone in those concerns and say like David said, “Look to the right and see: there is none who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul.” (142:4) But I know that is not true. The Lord is with me and I can also pray as David did:

I cry to you, O Lord; I say, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.” Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low! Deliver me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me! (142:5–6)

My persecutors are not usually literal people as David’s were. Instead, I battle against that old sinful self and the devil who presses at me to sin. With this in mind, I can pray like David did as well:

Enter not into judgment with your servant, for no one living is righteous before you. For the enemy has pursued my soul; he has crushed my life to the ground; he has made me sit in darkness like those long dead. Therefore my spirit faints within me; my heart within me is appalled. I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands. I stretch out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. Selah (143:2–6)

Prayer is not always in desperation. More often I’m asking God to, “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground! For your name’s sake, O Lord, preserve my life! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble! And in your steadfast love you will cut off my enemies, and you will destroy all the adversaries of my soul, for I am your servant.” (143:10–12)

And I can also pray: “Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; he is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield and he in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me.” (144:1–2)

When Jesus said He gives abundant life to those who follow Him, listeners might have thought that meant perfect family life, prosperity in business, health and wealth, and a life of comfort. They missed it. While the NT does not denounce material abundance, it stresses its limited value and dangers. Jesus warned that “a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions” and Paul testified that he had learned to face both material abundance and deprivation.

Material abundance makes generosity easier and comes with the promise that I cannot out-give God. This is also true for poverty and times of being without — because God supplies contentment and the ability to make-do and wait patiently for Him. Rereading David’s prayers reveals that he was asking for life to be good and if not, that he would remain true and trust God when it wasn’t good. This is my prayer too!

 

No comments: