February 14, 2022

Trying to do it all?

 

 

READ Mark 13-16

In our church small group someone made a comment that he “didn’t tell others about Jesus” as much as he should. Another person asked him “how much is enough?” My first thought was the little boy who gave Jesus five loaves and two fish and Jesus used it to feed a multitude. We do what we can.

It pleased me this morning to read about the woman who poured costly ointment over Jesus:

There were some who said to themselves indignantly, “Why was the ointment wasted like that? For this ointment could have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they scolded her. But Jesus said, “Leave her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. For you always have the poor with you, and whenever you want, you can do good for them. But you will not always have me. She has done what she could . . . .” (Mark 14:4–8)

Funny how God can convict the human heart by what we say with our mouths. I knew this truth yet it wasn’t’ until I said it out loud that the Holy Spirit used it to speak to me about my own attitude. It has been the theme of my life: Work hard and do as much as I can. I could blame it on my dad’s work ethic, or a deep need to be important, or many other things, but the reality is that I’m often living contrary to the Gospel. Jesus did it all. There is nothing I need to do to prove my worth or to be a better Christian. I am to do what He gives me to do, and be thankful that He is my Savior and I am not.

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:26–31)

After reading about that woman who did what she could, the rest of Mark’s gospel tells of Jesus doing what He came to earth to do: to suffer and die for sin, all of it, little sins and big sins, even my sin of thinking I must always be and do each and every godly activity possible in order to “live for Christ” when it is Christ who lives for me. He is the center; I am not.

This is a subtle thing. It does not mean being free to shirk obedience or to satisfy my own wants and whims. But it does mean that when I cannot “do it all” I should not feel like a failure, or that I should be doing more. God gave me many abilities (except I cannot sing worth a hoot) yet the Lord is not asking me to use them all or do everything that Christians are supposed to do. Not only that, He wants obedience, not competence. He gives the skills necessary, even the words if my faith leads to persecution: “And when they bring you to trial and deliver you over, do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit.” (Mark 13:11)

And filled with that same Holy Spirit, Jesus told His critical disciples, “Leave her alone . . . she has done what she could.” I need to leave myself alone and simply listen to Him and do whatever I can that will bring Him glory.

 

No comments: