February 17, 2022

God speaks and I must listen . . .

 

READ Luke 9-12

I’m using this year’s devotional like a reading plan in that I listen for what the Lord says to me (rhema) rather than pay much attention to the author who is doing the same thing. What strikes him as important when he read those chapters may not be for me. I’m having only one problem; these readings in the Gospels are filled with the words of Jesus and I hear Him in every line. Of course all of it is important but this space is limited. Today, He puts my focus is on these things:

First, Jesus speaks about priorities. I’ve been criticized for not using my skills, for settling with a life of mostly prayer, helping family and making quilts for needy people. Some people think I should do more, bigger and better.

This is Jesus’ take on that: “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?” (Luke 9:23–25)

Perhaps I could have gained a reputation and livelihood from art or writing or other things yet I knew that Jesus calls me to deny personal ambitions and die to self-gain. This life is not all there is. He wants my focus on being like Him, telling others of His kingdom and having an eternal perspective that trusts Him to take care of life’s necessities so I don’t need to worry about them.

Second, there is a connection between personal ambition and spiritual blindness. Jesus’ disciples marveled at what He was doing in the line of miracles but were clueless about His main mission. He told them yet their hearts were not on that but on their hopes for personal fame and being greater than everyone else . . .

And all were astonished at the majesty of God. But while they were all marveling at everything he was doing, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let these words sink into your ears: The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men.” But they did not understand this saying, and it was concealed from them, so that they might not perceive it. And they were afraid to ask him about this saying. An argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest. But Jesus, knowing the reasoning of their hearts, took a child and put him by his side and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For he who is least among you all is the one who is great.” John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.” But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.” (Luke 9:43–50)

Being significant is not the same as being the best and lording it over others. Jesus wants childlike trust not cocky ambition.

Third, I can go the other direction and feel as if my life is not worth much to the Lord. Yet He says to me: “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:6–7) His eye is on the sparrow — and I know He cares for me no matter what I or others think of my offer.

Fourth, if someone hurts me or robs me of anything, instead of asking God to deal with them and for fair play, Jesus wants me to take care of my own attitude and priorities. When someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me,” He said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?  . . . Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” (Luke 12:13–15)

Clearly these thoughts are about having an eternal perspective and relying on the Lord for what I need in this life. Also, I’m to take care of my own sin rather than asking God to deal with someone who sins against me. When that happens, it might be the Lord showing me in the way I respond to whatever they did how selfish and faithless I am. He tells me not to be anxious; if someone takes my stuff, God knows what I need and He will supply. After all, He takes care of sparrows! My role is to first seek His kingdom and His righteousness, and trust Him with all things. He alone is worthy — and also totally capable!

 

No comments: