February 7, 2022

Shadows pointing to a greater reality

 

READ Exodus 25-28

A shadow is the shape or outline of a real thing that is projected onto a surface by light that shines on the other side of it. Sometimes shadows plainly reveal what causes them. Sometimes they are more like the objects I can create on the wall with my hands that look like dogs, horses, rabbits or butterflies.

The NT speaks of OT laws about food and drink, festivals, and the Sabbath saying, “these are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.” (Colossians 2:16–17)

It also speaks of the work done by OT priests who “served a copy and shadow of the heavenly things” and how “Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.” (Hebrews 8:4–7)

Since “the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.” (Hebrews 10:1–4) In other words, a shadow cannot do what the real thing is able to do.

It is with shadows in mind that today’s readings point me toward Christ. The tabernacle and the work of the OT priests were shadows of the Messiah and His work. Also, since the NT says I am a tabernacle of the Holy Spirit, the details of its construction in the OT offer hints of what God wants in my life. It is His dwelling place and therefore I am to be like Him according to those shadowy descriptions.

Of first importance is suggested in this verse: “And you shall set the bread of the Presence on the table before me regularly.” (Exodus 25:30) From the NT, I know that Jesus Christ is the Bread of life and ever-present with me. Being His child means making His presence foremost in my thoughts and awareness. Regularly is translated from a Hebrew word akin to perpetually and I’m immediately reminded of how often I forget! Jesus is with me all the time. Oh that I would set that reality in front of me all the time. What a difference it would make as I deal with the issues of life, both large and small to remember He is here, now, always!

I write ‘small issues’ because God is in the details. Are not the utensils for dealing with sacrifices somewhat insignificant, yet He says, “Its tongs and their trays shall be of pure gold. It shall be made, with all these utensils, out of a talent of pure gold. And see that you make them after the pattern for them, which is being shown you on the mountain.” (Exodus 25:38–40) Jesus is every part pure and precious and He wants every part of everything I do pure and precious, never mixed nor considered ordinary or mundane. Do all for His glory!

Even more precious is the work of a priest in bringing the people of God to Him in prayer. He describes this “As a jeweler engraves signets, so shall you engrave the two stones with the names of the sons of Israel. You shall enclose them in settings of gold filigree. And you shall set the two stones on the shoulder pieces of the ephod, as stones of remembrance for the sons of Israel. And Aaron shall bear their names before the Lord on his two shoulders for remembrance.” (Exodus 28:11–12)

Jesus lives forever to pray for me. I am to bear the names of His people in my heart in regular remembrance before the Lord and bear the judgment of them before the Lord regularly. (Exodus 28:29–30) Again, regularly means all the time — like Jesus does!

The OT also describes the priests being clothed in special coats, sashes and caps made for “glory and beauty” and that they are anointed, ordained, and consecrated in service to God. (Exodus 28:40–41) Jesus was, and as the Father sent Him, He also sends me.

The lessons are not at all shadowy. God’s light makes them plain and important. The first one is to always be in the Word of God and aware of the presence and power of Jesus Christ. The others point to the holiness of Jesus Christ and to put high priority on personal holiness. The last one reminds me that Jesus lives forever to intercede for me! As a reflection of Him, my role is constant intercession for His people. This is a powerful encouragement. No matter what else is going on, God points me to Jesus, sets my priorities and has my back.

 

No comments: