February 19, 2022

Sinless?

 

READ Luke 17-20

A man stood up during a church meeting and told the rest of us that he no longer sinned. He said that the salvation made possible by Jesus Christ would be put to shame if it was not complete. At that time I was a new Christian and thought something was wrong with his theology but didn’t have enough understanding on my own to make a response.

Today I read the following parable from Luke and am reminded of what that man said about his ‘righteousness’ . . .

Jesus also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you; this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9–14)

I don’t remember if the man in church treated others with contempt, yet his words were similar to this Pharisee. He claimed he was not like everyone else who did sinful things.

Through my Christian life, God warns me against such thinking, whether it is about comparing myself with others in regard to sin, or other things such as being better in school, or having more friends, or selling more articles, or knowing more about a topic, or any other kinds of self-exalting or lording it over people in regard to that cultural value system of ‘bigger, better, more’ that usually flies in the face of truth.

The Bible clearly says this about Christians and sin:

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 John 1:7–10)

When reading the Word of God or listening to a biblical teacher or preacher, or interacting with others, God often speaks to me about my short-comings using what I read or hear or observe. I’m rebuked nearly every day about failing to obey or being hypocritical or falling short of being like Jesus. I see others who are far more compassionate, far less self-centered, and even though the Bible warns about comparing myself with others, obviously I’ve things to confess.

Verse 9 in the above quote has been a long-term guide for me. It is God’s message about how to deal with sin and keep growing more like Jesus. When I sin, I’m to ‘fess up, agreeing with the Holy Spirit. Don’t deny it or hide it or call it something else. He forgave, forgives, and will forgive — and also will clean me up. Otherwise, I’m stuck with it and with the arrogant idea that now that I am a Christian, I never do anything contrary to the will of God. He is the Savior — I cannot save myself from sin’s penalty or its power. Never could and never can.

Jesus warned His disciples about self-righteousness and even did it in the hearing of all the people. He said: “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love greetings in the marketplaces and the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts, who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.” (Luke 20:45–47)

These religious leaders called down everyone who was not like them without realizing that in the act of doing that, they were far worse than others who admitting their sin. They should have known better but pride in their religious activities overcame the truth of the Gospel.

For me, the Lord says to always remember that sin is sin and everyone is guilty. The good news is that because of Jesus everyone can be forgiven. Only Jesus has the power to change lives. One day, when I  step into eternity, I will be like Him, but until then I have to agree with Him that change remains necessary.

 

No comments: